or Connect

Posts by pkblaze100

I just wrapped my MBA but thought I would share my prep plan for the GMAT. I have about a dozen friends and people online who have used it with generally high success (lowest score is a 700, highest is a 790). The strategy is for people who aren't having trouble per se just want a good prep plan without taking a class. If people want I can also add details of what to do if you are having a trouble (helped my friend go from a ~550 to 740) My "nums": Overall - 770, Q:50,...
For people trying to get an idea on salaries and a general introduction to management consulting, make sure to check out management consulted (google it). They have a list of 2012 post undergrad and mba salaries for the big firms (which are very accurate from personal experience)
Congrats!!! The feeling of landing your first "real" job is awsome Mind if I ask if the offer is in consulting? i remember you were asking about case interviews a few days ago
Quote: Originally Posted by Fuuma Please tell me you didn't learn that in higher education. PLEASE! Well no - the actual education part focuses on business skills and concepts. I learned that from clubs, classmates, career center, online, meting recruiters etc. While education is great, and learning for the sake of learning is interesting, getting a job matters too Also just saw this awsome smile I wish I had used earlier
@ school now but here is info on my Old firm (Consulting) Experience: 4 years Title: Consultant Sick/Personal/PTO - 25 days (all came from the same bank) Holidays - 8 + 1 floating Carryover up to 30 days from one year to the next I never used them all until i quit (took 1.5 months of vacation!)
Apologies imageWIS - when I said upper end, I meant "top half" of UES. Being near the mueseums is not necessarily a benefit when it comes to rentals (I was a real estate agent in NYC and really anything more than 1 ave away from them has the same prices...actually a bigger impact on price would be proximity to the express stop on 86th). Again for this price range you are alooking at small room in a share somewhere. For example, I had a $700 room on 96th and Madison back...
As president of one of the two consulting clubs at my school and an MBB summer intern I felt obligated to help with this posting Ok - first - Absolutely no to the calculator. For additional prep (assuming you cna't practice at school) search online for some MBA schools case book for practice cases. Otherwise practice with people at school (giving cases helped me a ton - It helped me get into the interviewers head) Ok - My tips for cracking the case...
So here's my opinion as an ex top 10 consultant and MBB summer intern. Breaking into MBB is VERY heard if you are just applying through the websites. If he can make or has some (2-3) strong contacts in one firm and those people will recommend him, he has a shot (assuming he can pass the interviews). If he can get in then yes, it can be a substitute for an MBA but MBA is a huge feeder to them (I'd argue that 75% of partners have one) so it can be hard. Any experience...
My Story - shoot me questions if you are interested 3.2 GPA - very good undergrad b-school did 6 internships in different industries incl Finance (acct, i-bank), marketing (PR, brnd mgmt, mrkt rsch) and consulting (3 full summers, 3 during school years) Full Time - consulting at good consulting but not top firm (one of acn, pwc, deloitte) in mgmt consulting but not strategy (i specifically wanted some full lifecycle project experience) GMAT - 770 - no prep course...
Assuming the offer is for I-banking at good large location then no 77 hours is not normal - its vacation. I'd realistically expect 100+ hours a week (assuming nothing has changed since I did my internship in 04) I feel lucky enough to have done the internship, realized I would be miserable (albeit rich) in banking and moved to the slightly less lucrative consulting world (which I actually love)