or Connect

Posts by fareau

I don't know Paris so I can't obviously express much of an opinion about her. The image that is conveyed in the media is, as Manton states, a fairly vacuous pseudo-celebrity type that appears to be rather spoiled. So be it, I could care less. She is just a young woman living a life that wouldn't appeal to me very much, just as my own wouldn't appeal to her. What gives me reason to groan is the rabid interest the media have in perpetually covering every move she...
Quote: Originally Posted by Saucemaster It's a matter of theological debate, but the orthodox view of just about all major Christian denominations that I'm aware of is that Jesus did, in fact, claim to be God. The "before Abraham was, I Am" thing (John 8? I think? I'm amazed I still remember that) is usually given as the most persuasive passage. The belief that he didn't actually claim to be God is a minority view in Christian doctrine, at any...
Quote: Originally Posted by designprofessor IMO he's quite the opposite, rather deliberate in fact. I make the association with jazz because I see improvisation in Pollock's work. much like jazz, working with a given structure. Reminds me of an old interview I watched in which a famous jazz player was asked to opine on Miles Davis. The interviewer commented that everything Davis played sounded like scrambled eggs. The jazz player smiled,...
I was recently in Toronto speaking at a conference and was invited to dine at a very expensive Chinese restaurant in the city. We were served 8 or 9 courses of food and one of the dishes was a very strange gelatinous soup that had a peculiar fleshy taste. I didn't like the taste at all, but I was told that it was considered a delicacy and so I consumed the entirety of the dish so as not to offend my host. Afterward, I found out that it was shark fin soup. I had just...
I am a huge fan of well made cowboy boots. If you take the time to find a pair that fit well, and then give them a little time to break-in, cowboy boots are some of the most comfortable footwear available. I have a pair of Lucchese's that are a pleasure to wear. I have been living in Texas for a handful of years so it has been easy to acquire a taste for boots. I will be moving to Wisconsin in a week but, weather permitting, I will continue to wear my boots. That...
Quote: Originally Posted by LabelKing I once heard some small children using offensive language and discussing the nuances of fellatio.
Quote: Originally Posted by whodini As do fingerprints and DNA, I'm told.
Let me quickly begin by saying that I assume you didn't mean what you wrote about anyone ever believing neanderthal man was an intermediate between modern man and chimpanzee? According to even early evolutionary theory, the chimpanzee is a highly evolved mammal, the ancestor of which split off in a separate hominoid line (pongidae) from modern man and neanderthal (both hominidae). To my knowledge this speculation preceded any subsequent molecular studies. Back to the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Gradstudent78 This pretty much sums it up, it happens, but its significance in terms of evolution is unclear. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetic_inheritance Unrelated but may interest some here: Also an example of a nondarwinian mechanism causing speciation http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html Thank you, Gradstudent78, for the links, particularly the first one. Epigenetics is a...
Quote: Originally Posted by GQgeek The point that I keep reiterating is that while it may not be a perfect theory, it is useful, and it is the best that we have. There are things that it explains well, and other things, not so well. I don't think that the current theory is particularly useful except that it proffers an attempt at a totally naturalistic explanation for life that removes any requirement for the supernatural. The current...