or Connect

Posts by fareau

Quote: Originally Posted by Bergdorf Goodwill The best way to reduce crime in this country would be to decriminalize a number of the activities that have no victims. Our incarceration rates are obscene. I don't know if you were just being facetious, but this is an interesting (if slightly off topic) point. Out of curiousity, what activities would people decriminalize, if any? I imagine that prostitution, if legalized, regulated, and...
Quote: Originally Posted by matadorpoeta i had a girlfriend who did not know her right from her left. no joke. is that ignorance or stupidity? Interestingly, left-right disorientation can be a consequence of brain injury; I can't think of the formal name for it. Look up Gerstmann's syndrome if you are interested.....
Quote: Originally Posted by scarphe To read and write should be almost universal mainly because in the modern world that is a basic skill, and even then not knowing ti would not imply the person is stupid there probably a decent numbber of poor africans that are intelligent but cannot do either. In the western world I would say that everyone should be able to read and write.(by the way how can the exact same sound s produce 2 different words right and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Rome History and Geography are not emphasized in real life situations as comparable to simple math (using money), reading and writing ( leaving passive-aggressive post-it notes on the fridge letting Craig know he is a dip-shit.), and basic science (making a Meth lab in your garage). I think there is a lot of truth to this. But, there is more at play than the pragmatic applications. There is almost a celebration of...
I agree with Fuuma that it is better (and probably more accurate) to call this ignorance rather than stupidity, but I don't want to get caught up in a discussion of semantics. What I have observed is that the ignorance is most apparent in the subjects of geography and history, and I think that the above posts are intimating similar experiences by others. The same people who can't tell you where Italy is on a map, or what countries made up the Axis powers in WWII, can...
Quote: Originally Posted by scarphe It is normal for china, all religions must have approved leaders in china. And the fact that it is one of the fastest growing economics powers and already a a superpower and just is still growing, should actually give it's measures some validity, might makes right. Though in prinicple one may disagree it is in practice validated, no one will challenge china n that issue only becauuse they are strong enough not be...
Did any of you read this? I find this a bit disconcerting from one of the fastest growing economies and portended future powers. Any other thoughts? http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070803/...living_buddhas
Quote: Originally Posted by Leslierc What's the point of cowboy boots? Most men who wear them don't ride horses, drive tractors, or work at the rodeo. At best, cowboy boots represent a myth way past it's time or, alternatively, adolescence with a fat checkbook. Don't rule them out just yet. The current styles go well beyond their utilitarian heritage. Although I do admit that years ago I would have agreed that that cowboy boots were a...
Quote: Originally Posted by designprofessor I don't hate her, but I fear she needs a good spanking. "Tough love" i think they call it. In that case, I nominate JLibourel to administer her punishment. It only seems fair..........
Quote: Originally Posted by Dakota rube Please pardon the OT tangent here, but can anyone tell me which came first? The 24/7 press coverage of Paris et al; or The public's seemingly insatiable thirst for "news" relating to her. Very much a "chicken or the egg" thing. Either way, it seems that Paris might be a totem for the cult of celebrity sensationalism.