or Connect

Posts by fareau

Quote: Originally Posted by Rome History and Geography are not emphasized in real life situations as comparable to simple math (using money), reading and writing ( leaving passive-aggressive post-it notes on the fridge letting Craig know he is a dip-shit.), and basic science (making a Meth lab in your garage). I think there is a lot of truth to this. But, there is more at play than the pragmatic applications. There is almost a celebration of...
I agree with Fuuma that it is better (and probably more accurate) to call this ignorance rather than stupidity, but I don't want to get caught up in a discussion of semantics. What I have observed is that the ignorance is most apparent in the subjects of geography and history, and I think that the above posts are intimating similar experiences by others. The same people who can't tell you where Italy is on a map, or what countries made up the Axis powers in WWII, can...
Quote: Originally Posted by Leslierc What's the point of cowboy boots? Most men who wear them don't ride horses, drive tractors, or work at the rodeo. At best, cowboy boots represent a myth way past it's time or, alternatively, adolescence with a fat checkbook. Don't rule them out just yet. The current styles go well beyond their utilitarian heritage. Although I do admit that years ago I would have agreed that that cowboy boots were a...
Quote: Originally Posted by designprofessor I don't hate her, but I fear she needs a good spanking. "Tough love" i think they call it. In that case, I nominate JLibourel to administer her punishment. It only seems fair..........
Quote: Originally Posted by Dakota rube Please pardon the OT tangent here, but can anyone tell me which came first? The 24/7 press coverage of Paris et al; or The public's seemingly insatiable thirst for "news" relating to her. Very much a "chicken or the egg" thing. Either way, it seems that Paris might be a totem for the cult of celebrity sensationalism.
I don't know Paris so I can't obviously express much of an opinion about her. The image that is conveyed in the media is, as Manton states, a fairly vacuous pseudo-celebrity type that appears to be rather spoiled. So be it, I could care less. She is just a young woman living a life that wouldn't appeal to me very much, just as my own wouldn't appeal to her. What gives me reason to groan is the rabid interest the media have in perpetually covering every move she...
Quote: Originally Posted by designprofessor IMO he's quite the opposite, rather deliberate in fact. I make the association with jazz because I see improvisation in Pollock's work. much like jazz, working with a given structure. Reminds me of an old interview I watched in which a famous jazz player was asked to opine on Miles Davis. The interviewer commented that everything Davis played sounded like scrambled eggs. The jazz player smiled,...
I was recently in Toronto speaking at a conference and was invited to dine at a very expensive Chinese restaurant in the city. We were served 8 or 9 courses of food and one of the dishes was a very strange gelatinous soup that had a peculiar fleshy taste. I didn't like the taste at all, but I was told that it was considered a delicacy and so I consumed the entirety of the dish so as not to offend my host. Afterward, I found out that it was shark fin soup. I had just...
I am a huge fan of well made cowboy boots. If you take the time to find a pair that fit well, and then give them a little time to break-in, cowboy boots are some of the most comfortable footwear available. I have a pair of Lucchese's that are a pleasure to wear. I have been living in Texas for a handful of years so it has been easy to acquire a taste for boots. I will be moving to Wisconsin in a week but, weather permitting, I will continue to wear my boots. That...
Quote: Originally Posted by LabelKing I once heard some small children using offensive language and discussing the nuances of fellatio.