or Connect

Posts by fareau

Quote: Originally Posted by Arethusa Sanguine? I meant that the author's tone is generally upbeat and not just bitter criticism that reveals some hidden agenda (beyond critiquing the theory). You're right to call me out on it, though....I could/should have picked a better word...
If anyone is interested, there is a book by Michael Denton entitled "Evolution: A theory in crisis". The author examines nuances of evolution that are, perhaps, tenuously explained by prevailing theories or mechanisms. For those who appreciate a sanguine analysis of evolution that isn't propelled by a religious agenda, it is an insightful critique of certain aspects of evolutionary theory. I recall the book being less inflammatory than the title might suggest. I...
This has been a pet peeve for the last few Olympics. Equestrian Table Tennis Badminton Rhythmic gymnastics Handball Canoe/Kayak BMX/mountain biking Synchronized anything..... The list goes on........ On a slight tangent, is anyone else annoyed by the network coverage of the Olympics? I have always found it frustrating that time is spent with personal stories of selected athletes, or fabricating nationalistic hype surrounding an upcoming event, or profiling...
Stu Hamm John Patitucci
Harmonycentral.com
It is interesting hearing some of the differing perspectives on this film. To me, the previous Burton/Schumacher interpretations smacked of mockery, like someone who never opened a DC comic reading the original scripts and deciding that the story of a masked crime-fighter was so fanciful and silly, it should be instilled with a camp and carnival atmosphere to ensure that nobody would doubt the tongue-in-cheek intention of the director. As a former pre-teen comic reader,...
I have practiced medicine in both Ireland and the US. Based strictly on my limited experiences with several institutions in both countries, the quality control is (broadly speaking) higher in good US hospitals versus good Irish hospitals, the range of therapeutic/diagnostic options is generally more expansive in the US than in Ireland, and the amenities (ie creature comforts) that lead to a "pleasant" hospitalization are typically more desirable in the US than Ireland. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by RJman There is no natural selection. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live. Chuck Norris is the hopeful monster. (OK, not as funny I admit.... )
Quote: Originally Posted by tiger02 No. Evolution is treated "as a religion"--by which I imagine you are using evolution as a stand in for logic--for the same reason that God is treated "as a religion." It is useful to do so, it is instructive to do so, and it helps us maintain a coherent consciousness. Nothing more and certainly nothing less. I'm sorry Tom, but why would I use evolution as a synonym for logic? Where does that fit into...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tck13 Here's a blurb from this website which may clarify the point I'm trying to make: Thank you for posting this since it raises an interesting point. When I studied evolution both for my biology and my anthropology degrees, the definition had been changed from the narrower Darwinian view of the origin of new species, to this looser definition. I found this change in definition a little bit irritating (and...