or Connect

Posts by fareau

To the OP, As someone who works > 60 hours per week and is the father of 2.5 year old twins, I think I can support this as some of the more sound advice that has been offered so far. You married this woman for a reason, so recognize that she is not a "bad" person. You entered this union with (hopefully) the intention that this would be a lifelong partnership, and now you are facing one of the many challenges of marriage. The most important thing is to hear her out, let...
Just noticed that this thread was resurrected from 2007. What's the deal?
The etymology of the word "doctor" is traced back to the Latin "docere", which means "to show, teach, or cause to know". The convention of referring to the physician as "doctor" in the English language dates back to the 1300's. It was around this time that the term was also used to apply to those who held the highest degree at the medieval universities that were starting to be founded. The inclusion of "medicine" as a course of study on the university campus was a much...
Quote: Originally Posted by WhoKnewI full length trailer here http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b232...a_trailer.html I was a little skeptical about this film, but that trailer certainly looks pretty encouraging!!
To the OP, If you are trying to figure out what to do with your undergraduate science degree (that is the vibe I'm getting off your post), then I would highly recommend that you shadow or volunteer in different settings and see what is involved. I am an academic physician and my day is divided between seeing patients, doing procedures, teaching students/residents/fellows/other physicians, and doing clinical trials. It is a very long road to get this point, but if you...
Quote: Originally Posted by darnelled Say goodbye to life for a few years, then reap the rewards of the investment you've made. I might adopt a slightly different tack and suggest that you enjoy these years as much as possible. I actually had some of the best times of my life during medical school. It was a real "burn the candle at both ends" type of existence, with time spent working hard and playing harder. In retrospect, it was the right...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Because someone with an ability to read a P&L has to keep your narrow asses in business and the pay cheques flowing. That Lexus you're driving didn't end up in your garage because you're noble.
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Okay, I'm about to give you one of Piob's pieces of advice to run your life by. Never have more in your office or cubicle than what you can fit into one box. In the first year of my first white collar job I saw a few people let go. Absolutely nothing worse than having to make multiple trips to empty out your office after you've just been termed. I've never allowed myself to accumulate more than a single box full...
Quote: Originally Posted by Contingency Plan Got an interview next Tuesday for med school (University College London.) Any advice from physicians/med students would be most appreciated! 1) I would recommend that you have a prepared answer to the usual ice-breaker, "tell us a little about yourself". It seems like the simplest question, but it often confounds people. 2) I would be prepared to answer the question, "why do you want to study...
Quote: Originally Posted by clee1982 what if your job was on the line? A hour can mean a lot for some people (in which he should have come out and helped instead, but oh well). I appreciate your empathy, but in today's world we should all be thankful to be gainfully employed. If this guy's job is under threat in any way, the last thing he should be doing is making violent threats in the community he serves, regardless of whether he has any...