or Connect

Posts by Fuuma

Here is another take on it.http://jamellebouie.net/post/110652945024/the-problem-with-beck-v-beyonce-will
Read one of his (pop) books: he likes to write in a rambling style but I don't think he overuses jargon where simple words would suffice. You can't discuss Hegel without getting technical, that'd be like engineers at Nasa saying "put the thing in the other thing so the whatevergas helps the big rocket be, like, more stable".I'd say reading Zizek while lacking basic familiarity with Lacan, Hegel and Badiou makes the whole thing a puzzling endeavour, as pop as he may appear.
I know a leading academic who likes to relax while listening to trash tv with his daughter. His wife likes to relax by fucking her students, not that this relates to the discussion at hand. Zizek is a specific case in the sense that an important portion of his work is concerned with pop-culture. His old friend Badiou, who has a different focus, would be an example of a cultural univore (high culture only).
I'm sure they exist although, depending on how you define being an univore I'd say I know next to none under 50. Suffice to say that would be status and cool bestowed in a very small circle (close friends I guess) but then, we're talking about large sociological studies aggregating diverse groups which, as you're pointing out, might not account for small outlier groups (say people teaching at The Faculty of Classics at Oxford). I personally consume a lot of low, mid (and...
Yeah, the higher reaches of academia over 50+ or even older people (say people of our paren't age) but not amongst my age group or younger. It has been going on for quite a while and has reached it's peak amongst the masses when hipsters started liking pop music (so what, 10 yrs ago?).Just in case: if you're more versed in English terminology I'm talking about status not class."An initial finding from these analyses is that cultural consumption in England is not stratified...
FYO cultural capital is currently accrued through the presentation of a narrative unifying various strands of consumption, from low to high brow (aka omnivorous consumption). It is thus demonstratively false that hating popular music is currently cool. Cultural tolerance is very highly valued in the current cultural climate.
Maybe but I'm not waiting for a jacket.
I am not ignorant about pop culture, I am ignorant about which person is currently used to represent it as that information is almost meaningless. This is very different. I am sure the pop album is a mix of trap/R&B and some electro-ish beats and it is more personal than those of a few yrs ago. Because this is what must be done right now.Also, I currently listen to what could be called radical pop, or pop taken to its extreme conclusion, stuff like...
I am saying that the Grammy's are, AFAIK merely a push for low-level mass garbage and linked to industry networking more than anything else (i.e. Oscars). I don't need to know which shitty artist/song that will be forgotten in 2 weeks is backed by the biggest, badest team and was also found cool by some random judge.Note that:-I have never listened to the Grammy's and know they happened because I saw some (black) people post on FB they agreed with Kanye (whose music I am...
Yeah I did experience that in Toronto, went waaaayyy out to have some good chinese, it was really good though.