or Connect

Posts by Fuuma

Matthew is cool and has great interior deco taste. He's suffering from the rich white guy Alessi juicer obsession though, these things are just plain shit to use.
I agree that we have largely moved to a "lifestyle-based" effective way of grouping ourselves, which explains distinction through consumption, once again circling back on the essential difference between mass culture as a cement (the water cooler conversation about Carson's show or whatever) and fragments of mass culture pitted out against other fragments and being ordered to be used as social weapons of distinction (I listen to pitchfork albums of the year and some other...
I was offering it more as a general comment on the grammy discussion, not to refute or promote a specific agenda. BTW the opinion I was trying express earlier about mass culture is that, while it is a worthy topic of study, it is pointless to attempt to order it and declare some taste superior in itself (pitchforking). I wasn't attempting to show how much more kultured I was or something, hence my posting of some PC music style mix ( good primer on PC music...
Aussies get really good SE asian food (not just chinese but yeah viet, thai etc.) in many places though, AFAIK.Now that the thread has been properly foodificated, maybe it is time to get back to the age olkd debate of pho versus ramen. I vote pho (more subtelty in the broth).
The article doesn't make it sound like Beck is the little guy, it makes it sound like he is a musician of the author/compositor/interpret variety while Beyoncé is, yeah, for good or bad the face of Beyoncé inc. Which she is. Both are super visible, big company backed superstars, they were at the fucking Grammys.
Here is another take on it.http://jamellebouie.net/post/110652945024/the-problem-with-beck-v-beyonce-will
Read one of his (pop) books: he likes to write in a rambling style but I don't think he overuses jargon where simple words would suffice. You can't discuss Hegel without getting technical, that'd be like engineers at Nasa saying "put the thing in the other thing so the whatevergas helps the big rocket be, like, more stable".I'd say reading Zizek while lacking basic familiarity with Lacan, Hegel and Badiou makes the whole thing a puzzling endeavour, as pop as he may appear.
I know a leading academic who likes to relax while listening to trash tv with his daughter. His wife likes to relax by fucking her students, not that this relates to the discussion at hand. Zizek is a specific case in the sense that an important portion of his work is concerned with pop-culture. His old friend Badiou, who has a different focus, would be an example of a cultural univore (high culture only).
I'm sure they exist although, depending on how you define being an univore I'd say I know next to none under 50. Suffice to say that would be status and cool bestowed in a very small circle (close friends I guess) but then, we're talking about large sociological studies aggregating diverse groups which, as you're pointing out, might not account for small outlier groups (say people teaching at The Faculty of Classics at Oxford). I personally consume a lot of low, mid (and...
Yeah, the higher reaches of academia over 50+ or even older people (say people of our paren't age) but not amongst my age group or younger. It has been going on for quite a while and has reached it's peak amongst the masses when hipsters started liking pop music (so what, 10 yrs ago?).Just in case: if you're more versed in English terminology I'm talking about status not class."An initial finding from these analyses is that cultural consumption in England is not stratified...