or Connect

Posts by xkmasada

Quote: Originally Posted by bachbeet For years people were so used to buttoning only the top button of a 2B jacket that many assumed one must also button the top button of a 3B. Quote: Originally Posted by a tailor because the photos are taken by a photographer thats why. Quote: Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo and I, for one, think that the opposite is also true. If a jacket doesn't have a nice...
Everything I've read on this board tells me never to button the top button of a 3-button suit. Yet on many websites, catalogs, and mannequins, retailers and the suit-makers insist on showing the top-button buttoned. What's going on here? Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but searching the archives hasn't really shed any light on the matter
Quote: Originally Posted by LabelKing He looks really average to me: Is it just me, or are his jacket sleeves too short and his armholes too large? EDIT: I should have said "are his jacket sleeves too long"
I was interested in Astor & Black's discount custom-made clothing and paid the New York "studio" a visit recently. Their office (or more accurately, room) is colocated with a teddy bear company and a few other firms in an anonymous office building on Broadway and 20th st. You're not paying for poshness. In my appointment email, I had asked to see Isaia Aquaspider and Zegna Micronsphere fabrics. Molly, the New York representative, replied saying that they didn't carry...
I'm Thai/Chinese, with your height and I think similar skin-tone. I'm in management consulting. When interviewing for a potential job, I always wear a navy blue suit, a plain white shirt, shined black shoes, and a navy blue tie with a subtle pattern. Yes, I do look like an IBM salesman or a politician, an accountant or a CEO, but that's the whole point. I've been on the interviewer side of the table dozens of times in my career, and if I can remember what the...
I'm looking for high-quality wrinkle-resistant stain and water-resistant wool fabrics that are equivalent to Isaia's Aquaspider and Zegna's Traveller/Micronsphere/High Performance. The tailor I plan on using doesn't stock Isaia and Zegna, and I'm interested in a fabric that is light, comfortable, draps well, and will travel well. Suggestions of equivalent high-performance fabrics from other mills would be greatly appreciated
Quote: Originally Posted by rgeftman I will ask the people at the Peninsula (where we're staying) and my travel agent, etc., for suggestions. I recall chatting with the manager of the Peninsula, a young-looking expat. He wore a very nice suit, obviously bespoke. Never asked him where he got it made though. If you're staying at a nice place like the Peninsula, I'd suggest staying away from the "tailors" at Khao Sarn road (it's not bad for...
Quote: Originally Posted by epa Those trekking, hiking and sport garments use special polyester cloths designed to bring sweat from the inner surface to the outer surface, thus leaving the skin dry. BUT THEY SMELL! Higher quality technical fabrics used by serious athletes got rid of the smell problem a long time ago (although cheaper stuff literally stinks). Think when was the last time you saw a tennis player wear a cotton shirt in...
Quote: Originally Posted by schanop Art and Perry, also build a fused/canvas suit. Art's price is similar to July's. Perry's price is quite a bit cheaper though. A couple upper-class Thai friends of mine go to Perry's and recommend it, but I wouldn't put too much weight into that. They quote a typical price of 20,000 Baht (about $600 US), but that would vary widely with fabric, of course. Perry's does not cater to the tourist trade. Also...
Quote: Originally Posted by j Wear a shirt with a collar that fits and sleeves that are the right length, so the fit of jackets at the collar and cuffs can be checked properly. Also wear the type of shoes you want to wear with whatever you're shopping for, so you/they can check the break and proportions. I don't think wearing an ill-fitting suit is going to help any, though. Excellent advice. The collar and the sleeve length are the only...