or Connect

Posts by xkmasada

I wear my Brass Rat with pride. Unlike most of my fellow grads and Sloanies who don't, but like most undergrads who do.
I got a black H&M trencoat a few weeks ago from the Chicago State St. shop. $150, or thereabouts. I would have preferred it in khaki, but it only came in black. They had a 36R, and it fits me perfectly (I'm 5'7", have a 27" waist, and weigh 128 lbs). If you can fit into a H&M 36R sports jacket, you should be able to get a pretty good fit in the 36R trenchcoat. It is lightly quilted on the inside. I haven't had to wear it out in the rain yet, but it's been keeping me...
The weather is getting windy, chilly, and rainy in Chicago, and while my overcoat and trenchcoat are helping my body stay warm and dry, my head could use some protection as well. A beanie or baseball cap just wont do. And a paper boy makes me look like.... a boy. So I figure a fedora or a trilby should do the trick. What color should my first hat be? Should I try to match the color to my suits - which are mostly grey, navy, and brown? What if I'm wearing...
Pedro, the elderly tailor at Cardelino, does good work, but you have pay attention to details and be a bit persistent to ensure that he gives you exactly what you want. There was some sloppy loose fabric in a jacket that I had him shorten, and it took him several times to get my pants right. That being said, he's always willing to go through as many iterations as required. A good man, and I'd have no issue with going to him again.
I'd pay $60 to have Office 2007 uninstalled from my company machine and replaced with Office 2003. Office 2007 is a disgrace to UI design. Most of the tricks and muscle memory shortcuts that I've memorized for the past 10 years don't work any more. Thank goodness you can install free utilities that restore the good old memory bar - but even those aren't perfect.
I recently bought a dark brown corduroy sports jacket from H&M the other day. It fit me surprisingly well (I'm 5'7", size 36, 28" waist) and the price was absurdly low. I'm shocked that I can can wear this without the liberal arts college English professor-look. And all it needed was a bit off the sleeves. This is the first corduroy sports jacket I have ever owned. How do I take care of it? Should I brush it and steam it after every wear, as I would a wool jacket? ...
Today at a meeting, I saw the CEO and COO of my company with nice pens (Montblancs) inserted in the plackets of their buttondown shirts between the 2nd and 3rd top buttons. I've seen this before, including in dress shirts with the pens discretely covered by neckties. I was wondering what fellow SF members think about this. Does it look too casual? Or is it an elegant solution of wear to put pens when your shirt has no chest pocket?
Accuracy is one thing, long-term reliability is another. If you leave a mechanical watch in a drawer for 50 years, you will still be able to put it on your wrist and expect it to keep good enough time. Watches hundreds of years old routinely get auctioned off in perfect working condition. If you leave a quartz watch in a drawer for 10 years, the battery will most probably have leaked, completely destroying the internal mechanism. Unfortunately, even solar-powered...
If it's the days when I'm on the eliptical, I put on an Under Armour form-fitting top, and a headband. I don't care how dorky it looks - I can't stand getting sweat in my eyes. If it's the days when I'm lifting weights, any cotton t-shirt will do, preferably sleeveless ones. Lately, I've been getting pleasant conversation wearing dri-fit t-shirts from Chute Boxe, my favorite Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu team. The implication being that I might be able to bench press as...
The black Pierotucci looks fabulous. The black Romet looks good as well. If you dressed down while carrying the aluminum Halliburton, you'd be mistaken for a photographer - if you dressed up, you'd be mistaken for a drug dealer.