or Connect

Posts by E,TF

We did the kitchen in our london flat with integrated fridge, dish washer etc, but oven and hob in black glass, similar to these (random pics off the internet)- Units pale grey, worktop in charcoal coloured stone. Cupboard handles were stainless though, as were tap and sink.
Those are great.
Just wear the grey suit, no vest. Problem solved.
My in-laws have sofas with a very upright back and they're covered in some god awful slippery cloth. I genuinely struggle not to slide off them sometimes. You basically have to sit prim and upright on them, or slide onto the floor.
Thanks. Yes the lifting veneer is on my list of things to do. The black rhombus is an old repair (it is in fact just a deeper shade of brown, much last contrasting irl), where someone has patched in a bit of new veneer. I imagine when the repair was done it was all the same colour and that they have faded at different rates since.
For anyone interested, I have posted a photo of the regency chest in the antiques thread.
This is the regency chest I mentioned in the home ownership thread. This is another example of the sort of thing I like, purchased a couple of years ago at a provincial auction house. A work table, probably 1820/30s. Would have had a bag hanging underneath that slid out, to hold wool, silk and so on, while the top opens up to reveal compartments that would have held needles and other tools for embroidery, knitting, etc. One of the dealers I know was itching for me to...
I'll take some photos some time.One of the restorers I know, who's also a cabinet maker, does proper french polishing but says it's a real bitch because his workshop generally has loads of saw dust floating around in the air, which is your worst enemy when french polishing. So he has to spring clean the place, then do nothing at all in there for a while to let everything settle, before he can start polishing. I guess all that gets worked into the price.He's got some nice...
Yes it's not cheap. I like furniture that shows its life, has some knocks and bashes, old repairs etc. It has a sort of wabi-sabi appeal for me. It also fits in with the lived-in country house look we're trying to achieve. I do have a couple of guys I use for restoration - they generally want to go much further toward perfection than I do. Which is all fortunate as it works out much cheaper.I generally buy at smaller local auctions outside of london, and from a handful of...