or Connect

Posts by Orgetorix

Definitely German. Solide Elegant buttons are found on all kinds of WWII German military items.
Give it a burst of steam from a steam iron.
I agree with your dating, Eazy. Nice pickup.
I'd guess mid '30s to early '40s, based on the cut and style. The silk covered buttons deadAngle mentions are a holdover from an earlier style, and while they were still used occasionally in the '30s, plain buttons like yours were more common.
Your frock coat was almost certainly made before about 1925. Except in some very rare diplomatic uses, the frock coat fell entirely out of style after that point. I'd put it in the first two decades of the 20th century, but it's hard to be more precise than that.You won't be able to find a matching button. If you want to replace the missing one(s), you'll have to replace them all. And no, no way to fix the worn lapel silk.Many pictures I've seen of men wearing frock coats...
Yesterday. Gloverall duffle, thrifted BB camelhair sack, thrifted BB OCBD, sale Rubinacci tie, thrift trade BB brushed cotton pants, outlet clearance Alden/BB LHS, sale
Stitching isn't the only thing holding the soles on. They also use very strong glue across the entire sole. I've had lots of shoes where the stitching wore away and the soles didn't separate on any of them until the soles were very worn and ready to be replaced anyway.
Some AE shoes have the stitching not covered, but recessed into a very shallow groove. When they're done that way, the stitches wearing away is a sign the soles have a good bit of wear to them. That's what this person thinks is the case.But not all AE soles are done that way. Many, especially in recent years, are just sewn right on top of the sole leather. In that case, the stitching will start to wear after just a few wearings like these.