or Connect

Posts by Orgetorix

Did they forget to turn on Spring up there?
I don't know if it's just wannabe snobbery, sniping from people who can't get PVW, or genuine, widespread agreement that it isn't all that great. I can't speak to the issue, myself. I deliberately cultivate a very middlebrow palate when it comes to wine, liquor, and cigars, because I can't usually afford the good stuff and I want to be able to enjoy what I can afford. Case in point: I've really been enjoying the Trader Joe's house-label $14.99 bourbon (made by BT) lately.
^ Hating on PVW, or at least looking down one's nose at it, is nearly as popular around here (Louisville, I mean, not necessarily SF) as chasing, hunting, and venerating it is.
Ugh, guys - I discovered this week that my shoe repair guy, who had been in business for 40 years and did B. Nelson-quality work for half the price, retired and closed his shop at the end of the year. :-(I tried another shop in town that was recommended by the highest-end retailer here, and while they used decent quality sole leather, I'm pretty sure they just cemented it on.Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay up for B. Nelson recrafting now.Wes said he sold his to...
dat brown barleycorn, 4th from right.
Wait, you found this at THAT store? Holy cow. I've been in there dozens of times while visiting my in-laws.
They cut a slit all the way around the sole, stitch the sole on the goodyear machine with the stitches down in the slit channel, and then go back and glue/iron the channel back down so it's hidden.
^ WOW! Looks fantastic! Welcome back. Any pics of the Thrift Lift or O3 chamber yet?
Email Steed, ask about their travel schedule for the next year, and tell them what you're interested in and when you'll be in London. Their site says they make at least 3 trips to the US each year; if they hit Nashville each time, you might be able to use the London trip as the initial appointment and catch them back home for subsequent fittings.
Where do you live? Do any of the Row tailors visit where you are, or anywhere close, regularly? I don't know if Row tailors are set up to do a whole suit in the space of a short visit, like some of the Asian tailors are. And skipping fittings probably isn't a good idea at all for your first suit with any tailor. If you're going to be there for a couple weeks, you could find out who might be willing to see you at the beginning of your visit, and have at least a rough basted...