or Connect

Posts by Treko

Wondering if anyone knows the name or purpose of the small pocket sometimes found on the trousers of suit pants just below the waistband on the front (and usually the right side). They are subtle small pockets, usually single welt. No luck finding pictures of said pocket, nor prior threads that seem to address this query. The only example that comes to mind is that George Bailey hides Zuzu's petals in this type of pocket in the movie It's a Wonderful Life.
Ah, much obliged.
Well I have to disagree on a few points. (i) Slavery, for example, is not honest work -- quite the antithesis, I'd say that's about as dishonest as any industry can be. These people are either self-employed or work for small businesses, so the comparison is not well taken. (ii) My point was not that I or anyone else is incapable of shining our own shoes (I have done it before, and will again when the need arises), but rather that the simple fact that I can do something...
I don't think honest work is degrading. Shoe-shiners are hard workers, in my experience. They provide a quick and quality service, to a level I, personally, could never match. I don't see why one should deny such a person his livelihood because one could technically perform some imitation of his skill. To my mind it is more degrading to suggest that people in service-related industries ought to feel they are somehow "second-class" because of their work. People who work...
In NYC almost every shoe shine stand charges $3 for the shine itself, and $2 is a typical tip. This is for sitting in the chair and getting your shoes quickly spit-shined (no actual spit)/ bulled. If you drop off a pair of shoes at a cobbler or shoe repair shop they may charge a bit more. Unless you have a good deal of polish, wax and skill you won't be able to achieve the high-gloss shine these guys can achieve, they look better than new (and they do it in a few minutes...
The pics of the tux on Mr. Porter show the model wearing a white tie. I have noticed this more and more with tuxedos (as opposed to full formalwear of white tie & tail coat). Wondering what people think of this, acceptable or faux pas? @ Rengler22 -- Gilt seems to have tuxes on sale every other week or so (mixed in with regular suits usually), often for really reasonable prices. I haven't bought a tux through them, but it might be a good option for keeping costs...