or Connect

Posts by friendlyone

It was great meeting so many like-minded fanatics at Sky Valet on Saturday. I think that the EG staff were taken aback by our fanaticism; they kept asking how we "knew" each other and knew so much about EG. And once the party really started going, with Duveen and RJ Man (among others) waxing eloquent, Alex moved to the side, shaking his head and looking a bit worried. Now, as for what I ordered, it was the Troon in brown, as I have a weakness for monkstraps. But my next...
I saw Sky's generic commercial on Comcast over the weekend, on the Style Network. I almost fell off my chair when I saw it. I'm not sure I've ever seen a commercial for any high end DC men's clothes store. Of course, as others have pointed out, perhaps that's because there aren't really any high end stores. But I agree with Kabert: DC is now ready. Now that so many people are living in million dollar homes, they need to start dressing like millionaires. In any event, I...
Thanks for the tip. I find that sometimes NM sends out cards (occasionally even letters), but other times they don't. I think it all has to do with how agressive individual salespeople are in pursuing my business.
Jon, Just for the record, I am not a new member. I have been on this site for years, always admiring your posts (and those of many others), but posting only from time to time. I had hoped to be able to contribute some discussion of my tailoring experiences, but...
For years, I have been visiting this site, reading frequently and offering my observations occasionally. During this time, I have learned so much, for which I am deeply grateful. Many thanks, J. Have a very happy birthday.
To answer the questions: 1. There was at least one occasion when Mr. Beaman announced that he was coming to my city, so I emailed him several times, asking for an appointment. For some reason, I got no response, so I then phoned the hotel where he was staying and left a message, asking for him to please phone me. Unfortunately, he never got any of these messages, so I was unable to meet up with him. 2. As for getting my deposit back, he indicated that he preferred to...
To answer some of the questions. 1. I have indeed tried to contact Mr. Beaman. But suffice to say that there have been difficulties both in contacting him and coming to a suitable arrangement. Some of the problem was my fault: on one occasion he came to my city but I was off travelling. But other meetings have been hampered by, shall we say, miscommunication. 2. Yes, I paid a deposit, which I have tried to get back. No luck. 3. I am not Mark Grayson, as a cursory check...
For those who are considering attending the bespoke exhibition, I thought it might be useful to describe my experience with Mr. Beaman. One year ago, based on the many glowing reviews of his work on this site, I decided schedule a meeting with him when he came to my city. He quickly acknowledged my request, and we set up an appointment. On the day, I met him in the lobby of his hotel, and proceeded to his suite, which was filled with swatches of fabric of every...
Got my free copy yesterday, too. I'm not so impressed: it's basically the same thing as "Lucky" (i.e., pictures of things to buy), except for guys. Very little of the merchandise is high end. But it's certainly the best free magazine I've ever received.
Actually, I just visited Jay Kos on Saturday, and was very pleasantly surprised at the friendliness of the staff. Very helpful, very low-key, no pressure to buy anything. When I mentioned that I was interested in something that they didn't have in stock, they immediately ran it over from the other store, and didn't bat an eyelid when I later said that I wasn't ready to buy it. They also had a very impressive collection of over the calf socks, one of the best I've seen...