or Connect

Posts by Etruscan

I've only recently cottoned on to the fact that City of London is a Ted Baker line. Although Ted's eponymous stuff is hardly top-shelf, I'd never have guessed the connection, as it seems miles ahead of the City of London merchandise in quality of both design and construction. The ties, for example, are far heavier, more substantial, and knot well, whereas the CofL seem very flimsy (and have intolerably garish linings). I can't say I've been tempted by any of the hundreds...
Not having been to any of Westwood's stores, I suppose I haven't seen the more wearable things you describe (other than neckties, a couple of which I've bought). And haunting the outlets and discount sources as I do, no doubt I'm more likely to see items that have not been successful in commercial terms. I agree that Westwood is more interesting than Dolce & Gabbana, and is no more outrageous, per se, but rather, whereas many of D&G's things are often over-the-top in a...
I don't doubt that Westwood does some nice things (I have a couple of her ties that are unusual without being over-the-top), but most of her pieces just seem outlandish, clownish even, and moreover the fabrics are generally not good--both ugly and uncomfortable. (Rubberized denim? Ugh.) Westwood strikes me as being more of a huckster (interested in selling) than a designer (interested in creating beautiful objects). Ironically, however, her wares are often so peculiar...
I have an apple green Les Copains tie that I was happy to find at Filene's Basement for very short money (but then I try to spend less than $20 on a tie). I don't know about their women's wear, but Les Copains seems to do a lot of knits (sweaters, polo shirts and the like) in addition to sportcoats and the occasional suit. Interestingly, while colors and cut are youthful, often vividly so, the detailing of their tailored garments seems utterly traditional (I can't speak to...
Heavy with this morning's dreadful news, hearts in the United States and throughout the world go out to our British brothers and sisters. Amid this calamity, may you whose steadfast courage and stoicism are a beacon to us all find safety, comfort and peace.
[quote]I like skinny ties more than I like Jessica Simpson. --They're certainly easier to keep clean.
If one were to bend the category to include bad songs that one enjoys despite one's better judgment, as a sort of guilty pleasure, I'd have to include a few faves that I've always found to be great, dopey fun: (I know this much is) True (Spandau Ballet) (I wear my) Sunglasses at Night (Corey Hart) Johnny, Are You Queer? (Josie Cotton) Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler) Love is a Battlefield (Pat Benatar) These were fun songs, but worked even better as cheesy...
Casual seersucker trousers are a J. Crew staple, I believe. They're not cut exactly like jeans, but they come pretty close to capturing that feeling. Good luck.
My most frightening situation hasn't happened yet, but sometimes I wake up screaming, "No, you can't make me pay full retail."
I thought I smelled sulphur.