or Connect

Posts by DocHolliday

T-T makes special note in his autobiography that he was an early adopter of suede shoes. He says he was known as "the man with carpet slippers" while at Smithfield (so around 1930), and that he reckons he was one of only two men in London sporting such shoes at the time. The cad indeed.Terry also helped spark an interest in floral waistcoats. Not something you see much these days. And he liked flapped breast pockets, which were, from what I can figure, a mid-century trend....
While I digest some of the interesting recent posts, an aside on Terry-Thomas, who was both a very funny comedian and a genuinely natty dresser: In 1953, he was named "Best Dressed Man" by Tailor and Cutter, ahead of Douglas Fairbanks and a list of others. He's reputed to have owned more than 150 odd waistcoats, a signature item, and was a founding member of the London Waistcoat Club. His "formal clothes," as he described them in his autobiography, were by Cyril Castle...
I love Terry-Thomas, which probably comes as a surprise to no one.
Curiously, I haven't had to bin a pair of shows because of Kiwi. Hopefully the gemming fails first.
Remember the days when you polished your shoes with stuff that was cheap, effective and non-damaging? Thank goodness the luxury market saved us from that.
Cutaways aren't very forgiving, flattering neither fat nor thin.
To mix silhouettes, MC would need to have silhouettes. There are essentially three: the soft-shouldered SF house style, the excessively tight BL/GQ look, and the traditional American cut you see mostly on our thrifters/eBayers. MC is fairly rigid and proscriptive -- it's often hostile toward even well-accepted stylistic choices such as structured shoulders -- so it shouldn't surprise that people aren't successfully combining various influences. For the most part, MC's...
Three inches in length -- the Big Pony before the Big Pony. Great thread. Thanks for doing it.
I buy a lot of their shirts and picked up a pair of their cavalry twills about three months ago. I'm happy with all my purchases.
It's nice to see I've been proved correct so many times. It's lovely here, on the right side of history. Carry on.