or Connect

Posts by erpet

I assume the wedding is in the U.S.A. so forgive me if I am wrong about the codes and traditions, but it has been suggested white tie to the black suit - that is normally worn by close family to the deceased at funerals. Black tie to the other guests.
I invented "Formal Friday" at work - allegedly as a joke, but the real reason was that I never got use of my ties. Now everyone has gotten used to it and does not react when I show up dressed like an adult. It has lead to a state that allows me to wear suits in informal cloths (cotton, flannel, etc.) without a tie whenever I feel like it and even with a tie on Fridays. I agree it is sad that I feel "not allowed" to wear suits to work, but one has to change in small steps...
I would do it, if the suit were casual enough, e.g. cotton.
The guy in the picture pulls it off, I think, but personally I don't feel at ease with my long thin arms sticking out from a jacket sleeve without the company of a shirt cuff. I guess it depends on how you are built - with a heavy bone structure you might pull it off. Being a "lanky bollox" (as an Irish woman once called me. We never married.) it does not look too good.
If you like suits, don't bulk up too much. Very muscular guys look stupid in suits - like dressed up monkeys.
A common preference that works for me: long sleeves = shirt tucked short sleeves = shirt untucked
The need for specification of dresscode is probably not unique for the U.S. We in Sweden lost track a long time ago. Actually, nowadays, in practice, it could be considered inpolite not to write anything. I mean - if it is more important to show that you know what no information on the dresscode means than it is that your guests feel comfortable, you have taken a pretty elitist position.
You make perfect sense, hyt123, so I checked it out and it's "regular shirt and tie", thank heavens. So now the fun starts; picking tie and PS. I will go for whit shirt. Cheers!
Thanks for good advice, everyone.The wedding is in a church in Washington DC and the reception in a 19th century club, which probably also has a dresscode I should check out. (Which supersedes the other, by the way?)I'm afraid to ask the hosts since I am afraid of their answer; I prefer my wonderful navy Zegna suit to my old stuffy tux......
All right, so when the invitation to an afternoon wedding in the U.S. does not specify any dresscode, wearing a navy suit would be an appropriate thing to do for me as a guest? I'm double checking since where I live (Sweden), an invitation without a specified dresscode means formal wear.