or Connect

Posts by etkl

And a lot of companies make tissues that we generically call Kleenex. Xerox is another example. Or for those who are old enough to remember, Frigidare.
Again, this all comes from a conflation of the original and generic terms. But if you look at the fabrics actually made by the Irish mills historically, they have always come in a variety of weights, weaves and patterns. So, in answer to your original question whether a Donegal can be a herringbone, the answer is yes and often is.
Donegal yarn is much smaller, the weave is tighter, and the cloth is a lot thinner, less rustic.[/quote] I do not believe that any of this description applies to the traditional handwoven Donegal (upper case "D") tweed made in Donegal, Ireland, which is made in a variety of weights, weaves and patterns. For example, I have Donegal tweed coating from K & H made from thick yarn loosely woven in a herringbone pattern. You commonly see this kind of stuff in old coats from...
I think this is basically correct. I also think Donegal tweed, like Harris, originally referred to handwoven cloth, although, unlike Harris, Irish mills like Magee now offer machine woven cloth as Donegal as well. In addition,the name "Donegal" is not protected in the same manner as Harris and, therefore, cloth can be sold as Donegal by anybody regardless of place of origin, method of weaving or pattern.I think some of the confusion comes from the fact that donegal (with a...
I don't always wear PS's, but when I do, I usually reach for the white linen.
To be clear, I don't have any issue with DB's and PS's and, in fact, I own many of each. I don't always wear squares mostly because I'm to lazy in the morning to work out the combinations. However, in my experience, not many professional people I see on a daily basis wear either
Wow, that just isn't my experience. I'll have to pay closer attention next time I'm in NYC.
I wouldn't hesitate to wear a hat if I could find one I think looks good on me.
Maybe it is a New York thing, but I see very few lawyers on a percentage basis, including those from NY, who wear PS's.
Out of curiousity, for those of you who 1)work in offices in which professional men are required to wear suits and ties or 2)regularly interact with those men who do, what % actually wear DB's? pocket squares? hats? In my experiece, less than 1% wear any of them.