or Connect

Posts by bourbonbasted

Was in the store a month ago or so. Had a wonderful chat with the in-house Morgenthal Frederics rep (his name escapes me, but he was an incredibly pleasant man who had been in the industry for years). I tried on some lovely vintage eyewear, lamented the fall of Shuron and talked horn and tortoise shell. He had a great story about a how a former employer of his got burned by fake federal agents seizing nearly half a million dollars in pre-CITES tortoise shell frames. Great...
Not sure how long ago that was, but the last quote I got (this summer) was $1,800 for a sport coat, exclusive of fabric. At that price I'm better off traveling to see Steed or NSM.I had Dau (their head tailor) measure me for my Mashburn suit, so it may have come out better than most. Sid's stuff fits me really well OTR, so it was again nothing crazy. However, the idea of a Korean guy explaining measurements and nuances to an Italian guy in English gives me some pause. I...
Anyone know where I can find pictures of the Harrison's Icarus book? @Merino Bros seem to have every Harrison's book except that one...
There are a few small operations here and there, most run by semi-retired tailors doing odd jobs for friends or guys moonlighting at Brooks, Saks, NM, etc. parlaying alterations work into off-the-record clientele. But for the most part there are no easily accessible bespoke tailors worth the money. While Bosco is the most established, their prices are pretty outrageous for what you get. I was planning on getting something made up by them last year, but the operation has...
Really wish Chan still made visits to the Southern US. They used to come to ATL regularly and blew the pricing of local tailors out of the water. Even with their latest increases they are still a much better value than what is, honestly, embarrassingly overpriced tailoring in Atlanta.
Not helpful for this week, but Sid Mashburn is opening up in Georgetown. I think they are eying a Spring ribbon cutting...
From Saturday night. Don't I just scream Christmas? Hopsack/End-on-end/Cashmere/Linen/Flannel/Suede (not pictured)
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair of suede Chelseas. Wasn't sure about sizing, however. I rest pretty firmly between a size 8.5 and 9 depending on the last. Most all my UK-sized shoes are 8, but I was unsure how "generous" the sizing was. If I go UK 8 and am likely close to an 8.5(ish), will I be swimming in them? I also (obviously) plan on only wearing them with socks, so unsure as to whether 8 or 7.5 is the safer play. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Brand new with tags, basting intact, staple navy blue suit by Thom Browne for Brooks Brothers Black Fleece. The size of the suit is BB0, and is cut in Thom Browne's signature silhouette -- single breasted, 3-roll-to-2 lapels, hook vent. The pants feature a button fly in a single pleat configuration. While current Black Fleece collections are certainly nice in their own right, this particular suit has an even purer pedigree than what one can purchase from Brooks Brothers...
I'll get some measurements next week when I'm back in town.