or Connect

Posts by tsekh

Brown sharpie (i'm serious) or apply some leather sole edge dressing. I think they are heavily waxed, so the pigment from normal shoe polish won't get soaked in easily.
They are Red Wing lineman boots. I don't think they are officially available in the US or Europe market (at least not on the websites), but they are pretty popular in Asian markets. Red Wing Japan website is flash based and is extremely slow, try Googling "Red Wing 2907" or "Red Wing 2914" to see more photos of them. They look ok from the side, but hideous from the front or top IMO.
I wouldn't if it wasn't necessary. If you pay attention to the discussion I was talking about adding pigment to the damaged spot of my boot where the leather was cut open.This is the first time I have heard someone suggesting that polishes with pigment shouldn't be used on CXL. I have seen people recommend against using pigmented polish on shell cordovan, and that's because the shell cordovan leather is so dense and the pores are so tiny that the pigment cannot penetrate...
I don't used any color specific polish with my 1000 mile boot and I mostly maintain them with boot oil. I used venetian shoe creme in the past which doesn't contain pigment and can give the boot a good shine if that is what you are after. I don't like how the 1000 boot looks when treated as dress boot, the toe box is too huge and it looks kind of silly when all polished up.When my boot was cut and I needed to fill some pigment into the exposed leather (I applied only to...
Sharpie.Just kidding. Rub wax or cream polish that match the color of the leather to the cut/scuff. Let dry, and brush. Maybe repeat a few times. The idea is to let the "natural colored" leather absorbed the pigment.
Don't worry about the tongue. First of all, it's the part where no one could see when you are wearing the boots. More importantly, the tongues will look a lot worse once you start wearing the boots, just Google some photos of used 1000 mile boots
It will suffice normal city wear. One doesn't need to worry too much about "water proofing" the boots. The boots have a certain degree of water resistancy by themselves, and boot oil will help a bit too. Unless you expect the boots to see a lot of rain (e.g. you are a storm chaser) or you live in a city where it snows all the time. Light rain won't hurt the boot much and if they are soaked in water, air dry them and re-oil them afterwards.
Those scuffs are nothing and they are unlikely "flaws" that make the boots a pair of second. Brush the boots rigorously with a horsehair brush for 30 seconds and they won't be noticeably. That being said, CXL can be scuffed pretty easily (but they are very durable, I'm saying this so that you can stop wasting time polishing them like a pair of dress boots as the shine won't last long) and even a pair of first would have these "scuffs" out of the box.
Received my factory second tan 1000 mile boot from Sierra today. Since it is a pair of second, it doesn't come with Wolverine shoe box (I own Red Wing's, Allen Edmonds', and Alden's, Wolverine's boxes are the best!). The color is more orange than I remember when I saw them in store. I was choosing between the tan 1000 mile boot and the Red Wing Beckman in chestnut color, and I was going to get the Beckman because I thought the tan 1000 mile boot that I saw were too yellow....
All the Nordstrom's I have been store have the 1000 mile boot on display. I'm not sure if they stock non-D width though.