or Connect

Posts by Duveen

On the genomics/bioinformatics issue -- there was a ton of VC speculation in bioinformatics companies about 5-7 years ago and they generally did not pan out. While this is likely an interesting long-term (15-25 year) trend, it is not very useful for short-term investing, largely because neither the science nor the reimbursement are in place for this stuff at the moment. The 23andme model of 'consumer driven' bioinofrmatics that is on people's radar now will only go so...
Quote: Originally Posted by feynmix i thought it was eye- say- ah as well. Learning new things on this board every day. To be honest, I think pronouncing it "ee-sah-EE-ah", while more correct to the Italian pronunciation, can sound a little pretentious (of course, shopping for the stuff could be construed as pretentious in its own right...). My honest advice would be to mimic the person you are speaking with rather than getting in to a...
Isaia --> ee-sah-EEE-ah not sure how you want the "saw" pronounced in the previous orthography. Put the emPHAsis on the second-to-last syllABle.
Hmmm.... basic forum wisdom: * black is a 'bad' color for suits -- forum prefers navy or charcoal * pinstriped sportcoats are a contradiction in terms -- pinstripes are for suits only if you are skinny, a 3B can look good. 2 1/2 roll is generally the 'forum standard'. i am sure that there will be more to come...
Ygpm
Sauce, Definitely sorry to hear about your experience. The one thing that I will add to your post is: never check bags unless absolutely necessary. I can travel for up to 10 days on carry on luggage through careful packing, and struggle mightily not to check. I disobeyed this cardinal rule on a trip from DC to Grand Rapids, MI. I had a confirmed ticket on a direct flight, but was bumped and no one would volunteer seats. There was another flight to GR that went...
Agree that browsing on 2nd floor is a challenge. It seemed easier during the sale, as the high number of punters and lookers (like me) seems to have slightly demotivated the sales staff. I had an Indian gentleman show me the suits and sportcoats and he nicely left me alone for a bit, but when I tried a sportcoat on he said "Well, what do you think? Let's find you something to buy, you're here to buy, right?". I politely hemmed and hawed and said I wanted to see what...
nvm
My honest advice is to do the Brooks thing. And check out the CostCo dress slacks, which I hear people talk about (just repeating received wisdom there, no personal experience). Also take a look @ Jos. A Banks. While the quality is not amazing, they have decent, classic looks that may work for you. They also have a wide variety of sizes. Given your build, you may want/need 'nested' suits (where you can get different jackets and pants) and a selection of fabrics in a...
Agreed on Allen Brothers. Stuff is RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE but also delicious...