or Connect

Posts by milw50717

Once glued, they trim and buff on a wheel. Edge dressing can be applied if required.
See here for Crane's boots with Raptors - http://www.styleforum.net/t/163864/wolverine-1000-mile-boot-review/345#post_4146554
1.5mm of tread might just save the day, as it is 1.5mm of tread that the dress soles do not have.I have Red Wing GT boots that have the same type of sole. Vibram do lug half-soles with a similar commando tread that are 5.3mm, so even more tread to save the day, but less, err, dressy than the dress sole.
What you are seeing is the plastic toecap inside the leather.I wouldn't worry, have a look at some worn 1K boots and you will see it is very common for creases to develop in this area. Yours just have them sooner than others.
Half sole now or later - I personally don't think there is an advantage and where I grew up it was customary to wear the shoes for a while before taking them to the cobblers for Topys. Not sure if there is any science behind that, it was just what was done. Vibram soles - If a cobbler stocks Vibram dress soles, they should be able to order anything from the Vibram catalogue. US catalogue is online - http://www.vibram.com/vibramrepair/cat_pdf/cat_US.pdf - ad the thickness...
Many have done it. Replacing a rubber sole is going to be cheaper than replacing a leather one. Can also help with grip.
The snow seems to have turned the OG bag you started out with to more of a tan colour How's it doing as a working camera bag ?I like the big mouth to the bag, but would like to see it have slightly larger dimensions for my needs.Nice sky shots. A lot of people shy away from pointing a lens at the sun for fear of flare, circles and other potentially bad things, but you can get some nice results and in these days of digital and post processing there is really nothing to lose.
FWIW The sno-seal website mentions the use of an oven to pre-heat the oven. They also provide some logic as to why this could be preferential to the use of a hair dryer/hot gun:
@JjasonL Thanks for posting the images of the DIY half sole application and well done on a serviceable outcome. It will be interesting to see if there is any lift as they wear. I can see that the trimming could be tricky and not having access to a rotary buffer is a disadvantage. Purely a cosmetic issue, and one that will likely be a non-issue after a bit of wearing.
Duplicate.