Posts by dieworkwear

I love those rooms with overflowing bookshelves. Books stuffed in every cranny; piled on top of tables. Most of them dusty.I don't know. I hate to be that guy who rants against middle class people, cause I'm middle class, but sometimes you go to some of these people's houses and they have the most boring bookshelves. It's like, half empty -- filled with a couple of family photos and brand new, super clean looking texts about how to make money. Or some pop trend topic (e.g....
I don't think there's any advantage to analog/ physical items, but they can hold a lot of emotional connection. Which, in the end, means more to me than the inherent object. Crotchety rant: I still think it's a shame that kids today (grumble grumble) don't have that experience of going to a record store and flipping through dusty albums to find that one rare piece. I remember being in high school and calling local record shops every Tuesday to get a list of the new...
Would be so great if someone read Kondo's book and just went out and bought more awesome shit. "Surround yourself with things that bring you joy? Fuck yea, let's go shopping!!!"Records and books actually seem like the easiest offenders. I have a llooootttt of records I haven't listened to in years, but I still love the albums. Also lots of books that I bought and either never read or never finished. But I don't know. It's nice to have them around.Feel like a lot of old...
I guess I just think the counter to all that is the classic, bohemian NYC home. Guys who have apartments overflowing with cool records, books, and clothes. Original art, weird thrift finds, etc. And all of it is awesome. Lots of videos online of Gay Talese and Glenn O'Brien's homes being like that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcIyUqoFGCk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WQ8_Qvaw1I The Kondo point, as you've put it, seems to be about minimalism without it being...
That's true. The article was half about minimalist aesthetics and half about minimalist philosophy. The critique on aesthetics was even less satisfying though. Wasn't the article just saying the aesthetic sucked because the people who like it are rich? Like IG photos with big swaths of white, and then a little tiny vase sitting on a bare table?Wait, so is the Kondo book about minimalism?If the idea is to just surround yourself with things that bring you joy -- buy awesome...
For the Kondo form of minimalism, I don't think that's possible.I mean, maybe it is if you're Old Money and everything in your mansion is an heirloom. But, for most of us, we buy things that we don't even consume. That's the Kondo premise, as I understand it. Records we never hear; books we never read; jackets we never wear. Her point is to get rid of everything so you can focus on things that truly bring you joy.That just seems to be another materialist proposition...
I read that a couple of days ago. The opening is exciting and gets you going, as all rants do, but then it just seems to drag out. The whole piece is little more than an attack on people's economic status, rather than addressing an idea.Kind of disappointing. I mean, at that point, you could substitute the term minimalism and replace it with whatever -- upper middle class people can't believe anything almost by virtue of them being upper middle class.I'm far from a...
I don't have any experience with them, but I wrote about how much I like Wrangler's Cowboy Cut denim shirts once and someone emailed me about their Cowboy Cut jeans. https://www.wrangler.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/VFSearchDisplay?storeId=7401&catalogId=13652&langId=-1&beginIndex=0&searchSource=Q&sType=SimpleSearch&searchTerm=cowboy+cut+jeans The guy said he liked these specifically, but I have no direct experience with...
I like the women's stuff in that collection a lot better, but agree on all fronts.
Former nonnative Assistant Designer launches new label, YSTRDY'S TMRRW https://hypebeast.com/2017/2/nonnative-designer-ystrdys-tmmrw