or Connect

Posts by dieworkwear

That whole Lemaire show is amazing. Anyone know what kind of fabric is this? Looks like some variant of boucle?
Oh, right. Brisbane Moss uses per square meter, IIRC, which often causes confusion in the Unfunded Liabilities thread.
Really? From the cottons I've handled under 10oz or so, they all felt pretty lightweight and thin.
To relate, I still visit the Mr Sam Gallery of Snarky Masterpieces, but I'm never able to shake the feeling that Mr. Sam created them. Does that make his masterpieces not masterpieces? Should the thread be renamed?
That's not actually Marx's meaning of commodity fetishization, but that's not here nor there, I suppose.Anyway, I don't see why the feeling of wanting to acquire something necessarily takes away from its artistic value. There's an art market, after all.(Incidentally, I don't think fashion is actually the same as art. I just don't understand your position).
I don't understand. You mean commodity fetish as in you wanted to buy the items for personal use, or as in the Marxist definition, meaning an object is disassociated from the humans who went into making it?Unless you wanted to buy those as art pieces, I don't see what you mean by "commodities." I assume you as a guy wouldn't want to wear a big feather dress.
Really? Do you not find this stuff amazing?http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/objects/
To put this in context, he actually said this after seeing the Menswear Dog book signing.
We had this discussion in the Random Fashion Thoughts thread on the SWD side of the board. As I said there, you can criticize anything with this view, outside of actual books. Every movie, song, painting, runway show, comedic act, sculpture, performance art, even theatrical play is "superficial" in terms of its social observation. At least if you're going to compare it to philosophers or academics. That's because artists don't have the ability to flesh out very nuanced...