Posts by dieworkwear

The Knottery sells them for even lesshttp://knottery.com/collections/knit-tiesConrad Wu and Drake's use the same tiemaker.
One of the main communitarian critiques is that it's hard to build community around liberalism, and that liberalism discounts the importance of community when trying to achieve end goals (civic life, democratic participation, etc). I don't really understand what in Rawls you think addresses that. Essentially, taken to its ultimate end, liberalism eats itself -- to super liberal means not achieving the things you wanted to achieve.Just look at voting. To get people to vote,...
I mean, to say he's not smart is just silly. Manton's obviously an intelligent guy and a good writer. I don't see the need to attack him on those grounds.If you're famliar with Rawls, then you're probably familiar with his communitarian critics -- Walzer, Sandel, Taylor, etc.Do you really think those people don't have a point? That political philosophy and social science is just about "this view is right" and "this other view is wrong?" None of those communitarian writers...
This is stupid because Manton isn't here to speak for himself. So it's just assuming his view. FWIW, from what I've seen from him, he's more concerned about a Clash of Civiliazations argument. It's not that he's against immigration in the past, or think that only white people should be here. He thinks Islam in its current political and religious form is incompatible with Western liberal democracy -- even if the majority here can be transformed by the American experience,...
It's like StyleForum. The Golden Age is always the year you joined. Everyone who comes after sucks.
Imagine how much dirt journalists could dig up if Mr. Moo was appointed to the NSC.
Well, looks like @gdl203 might be right. Good journalism does exist, at least in ways that are better than that Intercept smear piece. Here, IMO, is a fairer treatment of Manton. https://www.yahoo.com/news/michael-anton-is-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-white-house-211930901.html Who knows, maybe more things will be written like that.
I think illiberal is a much better term for Trump. Fascist is a very specific thing. All fascists are illiberal, but not all illiberal people are fascists.A lot of people have hitched their wagon to Trump, while ignoring his illiberal tendencies. That includes people in the business sector (who are neither fascists nor illiberals). I wish that wasn't the case, but it's also wrong to label those people things they're not. Or use terms like fascists so blithely.In Manton's...
So now the entire GOP party is fascist? Because they've hitched their wagon to Trump?Is that really something you believe? The entire Republican party is fascistic? Or can even can be compared to fascistic parties?
This is veering into territory that goes beyond Manton, which I think is better taken up in actual CE threads.The bare minimum of fascism is allegiance to a state. And Manton is too opposed to state control for that. I mean, all you're doing is using the word fascist to say "this person has views I dislike and find extreme." The right today calls the left fascists; the left calls the right fascist. It's a stupid, watered down, utterly misused word at this point.Nationalism...