Posts by dieworkwear

Ah, right. Probably should have just gone to the site.I was thinking of making this a country-inspired shoe that works in town, if that's not overly contradictory. Basically something like the Dover and C&J Cornhill, but a bit more rustic (and weather proof).I think the last will come out slightly sleeker than the original Chasse, and I'm not sure if a braided welt might not look odd on such a design. Personally not that into the kind of Italian designs, where you have a...
Smith’s Finmeresco or Holland & Sherry’s Crispaire are also popular, if you want a topical wool. I have trousers made from Crispaire and like them, but it's hard for me to say how they'd prefer in a hot East Coast summer. I'm in Northern California.
Wait, am I mistaken?My understanding is what you've labeled in the photos -- the top photo is the Chasse and bottom is the Demi-Chasse. (Actually pulled the photo from your files when I submitted this order to Nicholas)In your description though, it sounds like the line across the quarters is the Demi-Chasse?As I understand it:Chasse: Line going across the quarters, braided Norwegian welt, triple sole, handsewn apron, and bellow tonguesDemi-Chasse: No line going across...
Horses for courses, but I thought they looked a bit over the top when I tried them out in a JM Weston store. At least in the kind of context I live in, and with the wardrobe I own.Triple sole, braided welt, very elongated toe seam, very heavy shape.I think unusually styled shoes can work with certain casualwear looks, but with a sport coat, sometimes a really rustic shoe can look a bit costume-y. IMO, of course.For a heavy look, I like JM Weston's Golf model is really nice...
Should I go for a Norwegian welt?I don't care that much about Platonic ideals and historical accuracy these days. Just want something that looks good in a modern context.I have some Norwegian welted shoes and like them, but just thought with this design, it would add so much to the chunkiness that might end up veering on costume.The original JM Weston Chasse is kind of pointless for the same reason. Cool in terms of conceptual design and taking shoe-only fit pics. But with...
I love that stuff. The Met has a great book on American quilts and coverlets. Absolutely incredible stuff in there.I've been really into the idea of lining coats with unusual fabrics. Boro, mud cloth, Islamic textiles, etc. A vintage quit would be cool, but it's too thick. The Raf Simons version would be nice thoughKapital does American-quilt inspired pieces sometimes. The robe coat quoted earlier has a quilted scarf.
Raf Simons for Calvin Klein looks pretty good.Love the idea of American quilts as liners. Some cool Western influences here, pointed collars and Western shirts, pointy cowboy boots and Cuban heels. Interesting primary colors.http://www.gq.com/story/calvin-klein-fall-2017-runway-show-raf-simonshttps://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/02/10/at-calvin-klein-designer-raf-simons-helps-an-american-brand-find-its-way-in-a-new-america/ [[SPOILER]] Some...
Molloy & Sonshttps://www.flickr.com/photos/molloyandsons/6791796801/I still have something like three or four meters, if anyone wants to buy it off me.
What are you getting for a custom bag?
Nicholas sketching out an idea we've been talking about. Basically the JM Weston Chasse, but less insane. Double leather sole, instead of triple. Less exaggerated toe seam. Slightly sleeker profile, but not too much. Storm welt instead of Norwegian. Might ask him to round out the toe and apron a bit more, but thought I'd share the photo.