or Connect

Posts by dieworkwear

Much of his view on animal rights might seem passe and unoriginal now because his book (Animal Liberation) literally set the tone of a lot of today's argument back in 1975. He created the secularist, utilitarian view of animal rights (as we discuss it today).http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Liberation_(book)A lot of people have critiqued the book on its own utilitarianism ground (Martha Nassbaum wrote the argument I summarized above, about how rights should be tied to...
Not sure what you expected from a Peter Singer talk. He's most known for his books on animal rights and poverty. The second is kind of a new one, although he's been writing about it since the '70s. Recently got turned into a pop-philosophy book for the general public.
I obviously wear leather, but it kind of annoys me that any kind of animal rights argument has to be put down beforehand. Like PETA is crazy, or that "don't wear leather" is a "PC" argument. Or that anyone who believes you shouldn't eat meat or wear leather necessarily has to be a hippie. Etc etc etc.There are really good arguments for animal rights. Why people need to dismiss it as crazy seems weird. Peter Singer has written a lot of good philosophical work on this. It's...
I generally agree, but there's also something to be said about how intelligent animals deserve special rights since they have a greater ability to suffer.Of course, that doesn't deal with issues of shell cordovan or calf leather (vs. dog), but it's an argument for why someone can eat fish but won't eat dogs.
lololololololololololol4everlolololol on the guy who said not coming through on deadlines in academia will get you "blacklisted worldwide."
I don't think it's a nefarious plot. I just think a lot of people hate certain "whiners" in here, but then that gets strangely translated into hating anyone who's upset at this situation.I think someone's fucking with the spreadsheet just to be a dick (or a small group of people), and I think it's because they're annoyed at the "whiners." I just think they're retarded.There's no company in the history of online menswear forums that has gotten as much slack than ToJ. People...
Someone has been messing with it for a while -- either deleting large blocks of information, turning large blocks of information green, or just deleting the document all together. I assume it's one of the people who keep defending ToJ in this thread, but why they're this invested in defending the company, I have no idea.Of all the vendor clusterfucks that have happened on menswear internet boards, nobody has had as many defenders as ToJ.Anyway, the best you can do is to...
I don't know for sure what he paid for it, but when I was doing some research on it, I think he paid something around $650k. Which over the course of like 8-10 years of him owning it, seems like a small return once you account for property taxes, repairs, realtor commissions, etc.I agree you can rent a place out. It just seems like it creates a lot of potential hassle. My friend current rents his home in PA out to a family and is trying to sell it. But getting people to...
My point is that you can get stuck in a situation. In the long run we're all dead yada yada yada ...If you need to move because of family or career reasons, you might not be able to find a buyer at the time and price you need. So you can get stuck with mortgage payments and not even be living in the place. A house can be limbo for a while.Selling a house isn't the same as listing a jacket on eBay.My last apartment sold for $800k (I wasn't the buyer, obviously). My landlord...