or Connect

Posts by leftover_salmon

It's an internet forum -- I reserve only my stupidest questions for it.
But it doesn't get better. It's pretty pathetic -- and depressing -- right now watching a bunch of 50-year old managing directors panicking and travelling cross-country four days a week pandering to clients just to justify their existence.I didn't think I was bragging at all that I can pay a cable bill with no problem. My assumption was that most people on a forum about high-end clothes can, too. In fact, I thought I was mentioning a couple things that were downright...
People love to snicker that those who work hard and make decent money can't really be happy. But then when someone admits that money isn't everything, he gets derided for it?In any case, I like making money but I don't want to do it in my specific job function. I like thinking creatively and having an opinion, neither of which matters much when you're working in sell-side investment banking. I'd much rather take a 50% pay cut to have the type of the job where someone gives...
The plan was to move laterally within the organization to our Canadian office; the only way to do that was to talk to my boss. He's been helpful and even has his boss involved. Unfortunately, nothing has come up there in six months, which is unexpectedly disappointing -- I missed ~3 job openings in Canada by a couple weeks.
Okay, I should clarify a few things: My girlfriend doesn't really care at all about money. The money is important to me, however -- right now, I can afford a nice apartment in a good area, I can go for nice dinners when I want to, go out and spend $100 on drinks some nights, take a nice vacation, order the best cable/internet package even if I barely actually use it, etc...I'm not sure how I would be able to adjust to being forced to "budget" in the sense that I'd have to...
I'm actually surprised people didn't say that's the obvious choice.I'm basically looking for either moral support that I can have my cake and eat it too, or people to say "You're a 'tard, girls are a dime a dozen but good jobs these days arent."
I make three times as much as most people "in their 20s -> early 30s nowadays." I think I have a lot more to lose and am looking to some objective advice. It's a much bigger adjustment to go from $150k/year to $50k/year than from $70k/year to $50k/year.
I've posted here a few times over the past year about trying to move around in finance but actually face a serious issue now. About six months ago, I told my group head that I'm interested in exploring other opportunities in finance, be they at my current firm or with a hedge fund / private equity firm. I'm currently in New York; however, my girlfriend, whom I met while I was working in Canada (we dated for 8 months there), still lives in Canada so I'd like to move back....
Agree with this. Moreover, chances are that when your resume comes across people's desks, that's also what they're thinking. In effect, you're going to be "typecast" -- not that it's a bad thing. Certainly your expertise gives you a leg up on monkeys who don't *really* understand the companies they're modelling.
Thanks. Sent the PM an email a few days ago but have not heard back -- position was posted three weeks ago and took about 5 to fill last time. Am not optimistic but would like to get some honest feedback, so would it be appropriate to follow up with the headhunter even though I'm a "waste" of her time? I'm just very perplexed given the extremely strong response I received initially. I was led to believe I actually had more experience than they needed but I guess if...