or Connect

Posts by PxC

Thanks to the interwebs, I was able to find the quote. It's on that "A-Z Of Skinhead Style" section of the book, on the part about earrings: "(...)Well before punk, some Sunderland skins wore small rings in their noses. An oddity of fashion, like Maidstone skinheads who spent a summer in the early seventies parading around the town wearing those big plastic ears you get in joke shops. It takes all sorts". Odd indeed! Do you originals remember other examples of people...
I may be delusional, but I seem to remember something in "Spirit Of 69 - a Skinhead Bible" about a gang of original skins who pierced their noses. It always struck me as weird. Could it be true?
This interview is amusing. It also criticizes the "Trojan and Motown influences", as well as the punk influences. I wonder what they wanted the skins to be listening to then. Something whiter than trojan/motown and more respectable than punk... folk maybe? Synth-pop? Anyone? Quote: Originally Posted by Get Smart here's a quote from an old 80s zine called White Revolution issue #1, interview with one of the heads of NF in England, I thought it...
Looking at the northern vs. London pics, I noticed that facial hair seems to have been a bigger thing up north. Knowing that over there was more of a real continuity between mod and skinhead, with mod never really "ending" like it it did down south, could it be said that the northern crowds that went to the soul clubs were a bit older on average than the typical London skin? It seems like that, looking at the pics. Most London skins look about 15, 16, while these fellows...
Was it The Syn, which sort of turned into Yes later on? They had some pretty good singles, in spite of the flowery thing The Syn and Skatalites, now that's a lineup I'd like to see! Quote: Originally Posted by browniecj They had as a Support Band "Dr.Syn",so I knew "Flower Power" was not for me.
M-O-M, regarding the split between northern and southern styles, was there a specific area where this split began or was it a gradual thing? Looking at the pictures from The Shades in Northampton, for instance, the people there seemed to follow the northern style, even though it's not that far up north. Would you say for instance that the midlands' style was somewhere in between London and the regions farther up north? Sorry if it's already been discussed here,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery Also, does anyone know whether Richard Barnes book Mods! contains a reference to John Entwistle's dislike of mod clothing, and to his deliberately scuffing his shoes to make them look less smart? I know I read that somewhere. Again, please PM me if you know. Thanks. I've heard of Entwistle's dislike of the forced mod thing before, but I've always found him pretty smart looking, in his own individual...