or Connect

Posts by Meursault

In Prague, go to the Czech Inn. It's a youth hostel, but a clean, stylish, upmarket one, not full of drunken students. Decent location, nice building excellently done up, very clean, good staff, good bar, excellent breakfast. It's better than any budget hotel, and probably a lot of the ones in the price range you're talking about. You can probably get a double room for $60 a night. Use the money you save to buy Vass in Budapest. I haven't found anywhere similar in...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jumbie *queue someone to show up and say that it's informal and they will write correctly when they need to (complete with lolzorz)* cue/queue If you're going to criticise other people's writing (as I frequently do), it's always good to check your own first. Completely agree with the sentiment though.
I have a couple of the wallets. They're fine, though nothing special. Reasonable value - mine were about £15 IIRC.
Europe has some fantastic hostels now, mostly clean and modern, sometimes with a bar/cafe on site. Generally, most of the accommodation will be in dorm rooms (normally single-sex but occasionally mixed) with a few private rooms w/bathroom for couples or groups of friends. Nowadays most of them stay open all night, so there's no curfew. They're not luxurious, but clean, comfortable, cheap and, most importantly, sociable. Standard rate in western Europe is about 20-25...
Quote: Originally Posted by JammieDodger I know this is an old post, but why did you transfer from Imperial to Warwick? Sounds like a step down to me. . Not really - for most of the sciency/mathsy courses Imperial does, Warwick is one of the best. Also, you might meet a girl once in a while, which is more than can be said for Imperial, excellent though it is. Oxford/LSE (grades allowing) from October.
Quote: Originally Posted by benjaminarnold anything will work, just skip the shirts with vertical stripes and don't do anything too loud. What's wrong with stripes? I was just about to suggest them. While I'd agree on avoiding the loud multi-colour stripes, I think thinnish blue-white or pink-white stripes would be perfect.
Quote: Originally Posted by samba I despise those who wear a fold down collar with a bowtie (even though it is supposed to be the more modern look). Might I ask why? It's certainly not incorrect, and has been done for decades, (perhaps even from the invention of the dinner jacket) by many people who knew a thing or two about clothes.
Quote: Originally Posted by williamson How do you know? I think you should substantiate or withdraw this. I doubt I will be able to substantiate this to you satisfaction, and maybe I shouldn't have expressed it with such an air of certainty. It is based merely on casual observation: most of the people I see wearing a tie without a jacket are young people, often interviewees or work experience people, who do not usually wear 'smart' clothing...
Quote: Originally Posted by williamson That is the problem - that is why there is an epidemic of the horrid tieless look. In the USA you seem to have a far greater horror of going jacketless than we do in the UK. I totally fail to see why a long-sleeved shirt with a tie and belted smart summer trousers is not acceptable in hot weather - that is how I went to work (as a teacher) on days where the temperature was over 22C. , wearing a sports jacket at...
As already pointed out, in the UK at least, dinnner among the upper and middle-classes has always been the evening meal. Supper (a term still frequently used among selfsame classes) was and is a lighter, informal evening meal. In the country, plenty of people still dress for dinner, particularly if they've been out huntin' shootin' and fishin' all day. But these days, an evening meal with just family is more likely to mean just fresh shirt, trousers and shoes, with maybe...