or Connect

Posts by tom_s252

Sockless in Stockholm?Superb, all the same.
Peter Firth as Harry Pearce in the BBC TV series Spooks, which ended on Sunday night. They were a quirk of his, I think; he wore them almost exclusively whilst tearing around London saving the world week-in, week-out. I wonder where the wardrobe people got them?
One of British TV's greatest proponents of the tab collar appeared for the last time this week...
Quote: Originally Posted by E,TF Is it wrong that I can recognise PG purely by the way he knots his tie? That, if I'm not mistaken, is a Christensen knot. Pretty distinctive, I'd say, so you can probably be forgiven for recognising it from afar...
Quote: Originally Posted by DWFII Sorry, not true. If you look objectively at the history, traditions, and the processes that have been associated with shoemaking, there is one fundamental standard of quality. That standard has evolved over literally thousands of years. Currently the best representation, and the exemplar of quality for the last several hundred years, is the hand-welted bespoke shoe. Everything else is a diminution of quality....
Like anything else, shoes are subject to the law of diminishing returns. £140 gets you to the bottom rung of high quality dress shoes; Loakes and their ilk. I expect your Dad's point is that beyond there, the improvements to be gained are relatively small and expensive from the point of view of the average person. You can, should you so wish, spend two or three times that amount and ascend to the ranks of truly handmade English shoes, but you may be the only person you...
If I could chime in as a Brit on this one, don't worry about being too warm; American gowns are indeed heavier and more closed than their British equivalents. Assuming yours is a standard Ede & Ravenscroft hire, you'll be fine. I graduated from Leeds, so I'm familiar with Yorkshire weather! For my money, a navy tie would probably be sufficiently tame to let the hood do the talking; if not plain navy then perhaps a pin dot or fine stripe. And if you're anything like me,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Navi (massachusetts) Spring Challenge SC needs a drycleaning, but I love this PS! Is that a Barbour pocket square? It looks just like the tartan lining of a Barbour waxed jacket. That, of course, makes it awesome.
Quote: Originally Posted by thefastlife i have them already, they look awesome. i question how they would look with a black blazer is all Any minute now, someone will show up here and rant at great length about how if it's black it's not a blazer. If you're lucky, they'll even mention the Royal Navy ship of the same name. Don't let them put you off though... The more pressing point would be whether a black jacket over dark blue jeans is a...
I tried on a pair of these recently and really liked them. Very comfortable, and for my money they looked good too. Now all I have to do is find/justify the cash!