or Connect

Posts by mjphillips

Cross posted in Manhattan sales: The Turnbull & Asser sale is worth checking out....shirts range from $25(!) to $200 (sea island), with most around $100. Hundreds of ties for $25-75, including a ton of grenadines (ex navy) and knit. A handful of suits and sportcoats/blazers. Best: a rack of smoking jackets for $500, in colors such as bottle green, claret, orange, red & black. Didn't pull the trigger on one, but did leave with three shirts, a tie & a pocket square for $120.
The Turnbull & Asser sale is worth checking out....shirts range from $25(!) to $200 (sea island), with most around $100. Hundreds of ties for $25-75, including a ton of grenadines (ex navy) and knit. A handful of suits and sportcoats/blazers. Best: a rack of smoking jackets for $500, in colors such as bottle green, claret, orange, red & black. Didn't pull the trigger on one, but did leave with three shirts, a tie & a pocket square for $120.
I think it's a testament to how well-rounded prep schoolers are that we have two separate, civil discussions on this thread going on at the same time - math PhDs and high school football.
Quote: Originally Posted by tj100 In terms of overall competitiveness, if you adjusted for school size, I'm pretty sure that prep schools could compete pound-for-pound with anywhere else. If you adjusted for SAT scores as well, I guarantee they could. I mean, maybe. If similar-sized private schools from Massachusetts & Virginia played each other, my money would be on VA. New England's not exactly a hotbed of athletic talent. Not sure how one...
Quote: Originally Posted by scientific ok maybe it's different in the northeast, but where I'm from, and I assume in most of 'football country' private schools are not big enough to field competitive football teams. but i can understand that NY area public schools would suck at everything The overall level of football in the NE sucks, but throughout the south at least private school field very competitive teams and typically punch above their...
Quote: Originally Posted by Quadcammer Strangely, the dudes in their 30s are the least well dressed. Gen X. Blame grunge, Nirvana, Singles, etc.
Quote: Originally Posted by Don Carlos Gordon Gekko wasn't an investment banker. Just sayin'. If anything, this lends credence to anti-contrast collar argument - as Gekko was the IB client. Salespeople probably shouldn't dress better than their clients.
Quote: Originally Posted by Quadcammer dumbest statement of the day goes to YOU. congrats on this momentous achievement This is bit harsh - do you work in IB? He's somewhat right, an analyst or associate wearing french cuffs would raise a few eyebrows, depending on the workplace. Again, like with a contrast collar shirt - is that the way you want to call attention to yourself? Being a junior banker is like being in a 6-year long job...
Quote: Originally Posted by HEARTLESS-531 OK. Back on topic because I'm a little lost with this New York thing and I've just had two glasses of kick ass Sicilian chianti. Ok. We have interviews at Choate, Deerfield, Exeter, St. Georges. You guys want pics or just the bare facts? Lemme know. Thanks. P.S. I love Toby Keith, especially that 'Stays In Mexico' song. Thanks Dashaansafin (aureh, Baba, Concerned Parent, and mjphillips). I'd love to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Egert I don't get the joke? And why are you so harsh on the traders? Or is it because of their "kings of the universe" and "big swingin' dicks" attitude? Not trying to be harsh - a bit tongue-in-cheek. A lot of traders' (alternatively - Americans) necks have horizontally outgrown their collars' buttoning point.