or Connect

Posts by Knowledge is King

They should be the same...the only difference between them is the shape of the toe
I've found that a lot of places updose to mitigate the problems of the quicker draining pour over devices (such as Hario V60). The updosing leaves you with a strong but under-extracted cup that has a lot of aroma. Sometimes that can actually taste good, but more often than not I find that it's just the strength of the coffee masking the off flavors while it's hot. If anyone here has ever read the Blue Bottle book, there is a lot of discussion about how in Japan they use...
not all coffees weigh the same either so measuring by tablespoons can be variable. But it's understandable that not everyone has (or wants to use) a scale. Just know that you can't really nail down all the brew variables without one. The side of the bags that come from Klatch say "Measure 2 tablespoons of ground coffee per 6 ounces of water". Stumptown's various brew guides on their website imply that one tablespoon of coffee is approx 7grams.
sorry about that, didn't mean to sound alarmist
What's up with the ties on sale going progressively up in price? Edit: just saw greg's response a few pages back. More expensive Drakes ties that I don't really need makes me sad.
Predominantly Kalita Wave, Chemex and Beehouse. If a coffee just won't cooperate (usually because it's roasted way too lightly) I use a Clever or Bonavita Immersion Brewer. I find that immersion/steeping methods can salvage under-roasted coffees much more easily than other pour-over methods. I also like to use an immersion brewer for a small first cup when I'm using a new coffee. It's sort of my foolproof way to get a decent first impression of a coffee. I'm not a...
I've never heard of what you're referring to with actually dumping out part of an espresso shot. The confusion between singe/double/triple is fairly common though. It's fairly safe to assume that almost nobody in a "third wave" cafe in the US uses a single basket. The only thing that would really clear it up would be to ask how many grams of coffee per espresso shot. I once asked a random barista at Third Rail how many grams per shot he used and he said 27 to 31 grams...
I share your disappointment with the lack of African coffees in NY cafes. I always assumed it was because the African coffees are too expensive for them to batch brew. It's not like Counter Culture/Everyman are lacking when it comes to selling packaged coffee from Africa though. Also while I almost always prefer Ethiopian coffees (I can't stand the savory orange rind tomato soup flavor profile 3rd wave roasters seem to create in Kenyan coffees), I wouldn't entirely...
I always notice a lot of small roasters offering coffees with the same name. Not sure if they're actually the same green coffees from the same lots but they do share the same names. Maybe they're just from the same plantation/washing/processing station?
I think you're right that for coffee the temperature control is awesome but not necessary since coffee brewing temps can generally be counted by seconds "off the boil". I would say that some pour over brew methods would be terribly difficult without a gooseneck kettle though. For those that drink tea in addition to coffee, the capability of holding an entire kettle at a constant, say, 65 celsius is really helpful for doing multiple rounds of steeping on temperature...