or Connect

Posts by mrjames

Quote: Originally Posted by srivats #6 looks the best fitwise and stylewise. No fit issues anywhere as far as I can see. Get it pressed properly and you'll be good. in my youthful opinion (21 years old), it fits 'old'- soft shoulders, low arm holes and baggy sleeves also as for the jacket itself, I dont like the straigt flap pockets, I don't like the buttons and the gorge is a little high for the fashion conscious young-ling, details...
Quote: Originally Posted by Digmenow Sort of still on topic, what's an appropriate tip for alterations? I'm using the lady who does alterations at the local K & G store and my current rule is $5 minimum or 20% once it gets beyond that. I'm probably overtipping because she will put a rush at no charge on anything I bring her. I took her 2 pairs of wool odd slacks that I had thrifted to have the length adjusted (cuffed) and she threw in taking in the...
19 and a double brested suit? are you sure this is a good idea? 6 button aswell, that suit will put about 20 years on you- where could you ever wear such a thing- can't wear it to work, can't wear it out and about... as for the fit- yes size down- it seems counter intuitive but as people have said already, the closer it fits to your body the easier it is to move. In your case the seam where the arm joins the shoulder is an inch too far away from your natural shoulder...
Quote: Originally Posted by JRB It would be allowable if you were not to mention it to anyone on style forum- ever QFT I say yes- wear it, but don't go to work in it...
these guys make it seem like it'l cost a million dollars to get it tailored. I don't know how the price structure works in the us, but over here it would be: about £120 total although you will have to go to the absolute best tailor within 4 hours drive of you, else they will screw it up but if you don't really know what you're looking for, and you have no reference for how it should fit- then sell. edit: taking in the shoulders is likely to move the seams too close...
Quote: Originally Posted by myztikal47 The problem I'm having is creasing on one shoe [/IMG] This is your leading foot- the one you put your weight on- try this, when you bend down to pick something up and you drop down on one knee, is it usually this shoe that stays flat to the floor (and gets bent) Quote: Originally Posted by myztikal47 But it seems like people in the shoe pr0n thread seem to have non-creased shoes...
i often wear just the jacket (it's velvet), with a coloured pocket square went to the supermarket in it earlier today...
that's great to hear- definitely pass some praise onto AE, i've been having very poor SA experiences recently so this re kindles my hope for humanity my favorite above and beyond story was when I really needed a pair of shoes for a fashion show, and I had a good relationship with the store- so the mananger drove from his house and a sunday evening to open up the store only for me, to sell me the shoes- made me feel pretty big time
Quote: Originally Posted by jrd617 Impossible in real life to do this. of course, but the foofing thread is about mostly impossible alterations no? i'm no tailor, but if there is excess fabric in the body at the arm pit, then surely one can tuck in this extra fabric to slim down the arm hole by 1/2" I might be wrong, but I think that's what my tailor did to slim the arm holes and you could always pull the shoulders up and re-cut the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Heuristic jrd617 requested I come here with the comments: "I'd like to see a slightly longer jacket, slightly wider lapels, a higher button stance, a spread collar, and a better knot." i'd also like to see half an inch shorter shirt cuff, the trousers worn a little higher to avoid the bagginess in the crotch, and the arm pit taken up 3/4 higher to smooth out the underarm Quote: Originally Posted by bringusingoodale ^What...