or Connect

Posts by sstomcat

these look like chromexcel to me, if so i dont think it needs anything other than a good cleaning. There are of course some lotions that Saphir sells for these type of greasy leathers.
I have a hard time remembering Japanese names but off the top of my head Masaru Okuyama, Marquess and Fukada do come to mind....Secondly, stitching goes with the type of shoe, which I dont think you are relating to. 10- 12 SPI certainly looks cool on an oxford but does that mean it will look great on a Budapester? I feel 6-7 spi looks perfect on these and goes with the flow and dimensions...
Absolutely true, no arguments here.So a little bit of education what is it in a leather quality that allows you to do high spi stitches? Is it the tanning process, quality of hide or something else?
Trying to put some context as there seems to be certain misinterpretations, nowhere do I mention stitching and stitching alone is a hallmark of excellence. This all started with which shoe is better made b/w VAss and St C and GG, but quickly morphed into a discussion around number of SPI stitching and which is superior.While there is no denying the fact that fine stitching takes more time ,finnese etc, I'm not sure that is always a mandate to term a product as excellent...
In same vein the stitching of your bespoke work is not even close to the Japanese top tier makers that I have seen which I would categorize as truly world class.
Where did you see them mentioned as top notch? Ofcourse there is no point comparing a 500$ shoe with you 5K GG and call them below par.What about other things that your RTW shoes claim that are top notch?
Its not about whether you care or not but there is no denying the fact that Austro Hungarian tradition has been around for centuries and has evolved over a period of time and thrived or thriving because of a reason...With the topic of shoes in general and not going into the classification of formal (oxford), derby and so on I dont think tight stitches looks good in every aspect on every shoe. Certain models mostly derby's in some lasts that Vass makes (3636 etc) need a...
Nice color co-ordination top down..
But isn't there a tradition aspect to this, viz a viz Austro Hungarian more of long stitches as opposed to English? In the same vein I find Japanese bespoke work probaly having the closest and finest of stiches and finishing but would you call that superior to all? I dont think so...
or Varnish