or Connect

Posts by Ducc

Thank you for your advice! It's calming to hear from someone that seems to know what they're doing. As soon as the stuff gets here, I'll give it a go.
Using the advice in this post, I've found that breathing hot breath onto the shoe, and then very lightly swirling a soft cloth will smooth out that kind of texture. Use a very light touch, just glazing the cloth over the surface.
I haven't tried yet, because I ran out of Renovateur. Last time I polished, I had difficulty getting the creme evenly distributed, and my solution was to use Renovateur to smooth it out. I suspect I'm polishing these shoes wrong, but the medium brown is much darker than the shoes; I got it because I want to darken the shoe a bit. I bought a brush that I hope helps apply it better, but it hasn't come yet.My fear is that the water took color out of the leather (not just off...
Excellent suggestion. I'll probably do that the next time this sole wears out. But it's not a great solution for me in general, because I *really* don't want to have to send my shoes back to the factory every year. I realize I should be rotating the shoes I wear, but in practice I wear the shit out of my favorite pair, and would need a repair if I didn't have topy'd soles. I don't have so many pairs of shoes for rotation to be possible.Life is about compromise. If you...
I had my favorite pair of shoes (in the world) resoled after I wore holes in them. When they were replaced, the cobbler (who has a reputation for being one of the best in New York City), changed the shape of the shoe so badly that I swore I'd topy all my shoes and never replace a sole again (if I could help it).I don't like the look of a topy either, but it kills me to have my favorite pair of shoes reshaped. It's, for me, the lesser of two evils.
(This is now the third time I'm posting this. I believe THIS is now finally the proper thread for shoe care. I sincerely apologize to everyone who had to see this post three times, and I implore the moderators to delete whatever they choose.) I recently purchased a pair of Crockett & Jones Hallam's in light brown. The second or third day of wearing them, I spilled a drop of water on the top. I wiped the drop off, but this is the result (the light stain): I came home...
Fascinating! How long does it take to dry? It was normal tap water (but probably was reasonably hard).Wow, I totally misinterpreted that. Thanks for the correction!
(I have no idea how this forum works. I posted this earlier, but I think I should have put it here.) I recently purchased a pair of Crockett & Jones Hallam's in light brown. The second or third day of wearing them, I spilled a drop of water on the top. I wiped the drop off, but this is the result (the light stain): I came home and applied a bit of water/vinegar to even out the stain, and then applied some Saphir Renovateur. So it's not quite as bad as it was, but it...
Hey all, I recently purchased a pair of Crockett & Jones Hallam's in light brown. The second or third day of wearing them, I spilled a drop of water on the top. I wiped the drop off, but this is the result (the light stain): I came home and applied a bit of water/vinegar to even out the stain, and then applied some Saphir Renovateur. So it's not quite as bad as it was, but it doesn't seem to want to go away. This exact same thing happened to a cheap pair of shoes. I...
I spent a ridiculous amount of time researching plain, cap-toe shoes before I bought these. Somehow, StyleForum posts came up often, so I thought this was the place to post more data. So that's the point of the thread. More data. Let the thread die, and it'll still come up in Google. Good enough for me. Also, thanks NORE and Kaplan and Northampton Novice, for the comments. As a seasoned Internet user, I shouldn't have been distracted by the trolls. But I did.