or Connect

Posts by TwentySomthing

Sorry to hijack the thread, and I think this was partially described before. What is the 'rule' about the groom and groomsmen matching in terms of style of dress (not it terms of ties db vs. sb, et al.). For instance, would it be acceptable to have the groom wear morning dress and the groomsmen to be in stroller or lounge suits?
Quote: Originally Posted by yfyf I am interested to hear about your experiences with Tony the Tailor as I frequently pass him on the way to my favourite bar. Tony is my middleman between the fabric market and Chan's. He can make some good stuff, but you have to make sure that he overseas the production, and you'll turn out with less of a headache. It's decent quality but nothing special. Since I work in a bar I sometimes use him for...
Quote: Originally Posted by hchc I have a question, those dress shirts with the extra button about mid bicep level to hold on to your sleeve when you roll them up, is there a specific name for these type of dress shirts? Thanks in advance. A little off this topic but still somewhat relevant. What are the bands that go around the sleeves of a long sleeved shirt to hold them up called? You see sometimes pictures of old bartenders wearing them...
Whoa whoops, some overlap. You beat me by 3 minutes yfyf!
In Shanghai there is a W.W. Chan's on maoming road as well of a grouping of other tailors (Chan's is the only one that I've used). There is also Dave's Custom Tailoring http://www.tailordave.com/ which unfortunately I've not had any experience with but have had good reports. If those don't fit your price range there is a small tailor on Xin le road called Tony the Tailor. He's actually got two small shops, the one next to the intersection of xin le and xiang yang...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire In regards to Margaritas and sugar. If the citrus is too acidic and you do not want to use sugar or simple syrup, use beer. For a single serving, use 1.5 oz of a very bland beer, one with as little taste as possible, the "piss water" beer. Beer is basic so it will buffer out the excess citric acid, without adding flavour or sweetness. I hope that is a joke.
Quote: Originally Posted by Huntsman A few drops, typically. I realize I should not have put those two together -- they are an order of magnitude apart. I once read the dictum that any cocktail programme involving fresh citrus ought involve simple syrup, and I have found that to be true (to my taste), and especially true since citrus varies so much in acidity and bitterness. ~ H Huntsman you are dead on. No self respecting career barman/women...
There are a number of great classic cocktail books available these days. Choosing some of the books are dependent on your level of knowledge and how involved you want to get into making drinks, cocktails, etc. Like Huntsman mentioned, the likes of Dale Degroff, Robert Hess, David Wondrich, Gary Reagan are all great modern personalities in the cocktalian World. Degroff is a good starting point for beginners, he mentions basic techniques and list a good many classic...
Welcome back, at least for the visit. I've been living here for about a year now and I absolutely love the city. Coming from Western Countries, there is obviously a lot of adjustment that goes on, but since you've lived here before I am sure that you are aware of some of it. In regards to restaurants, bars, and such; there are too many to list, with more opening everyday. In terms of living, it depends on things such as, what do you need/want to be close to, price...
Quote: Originally Posted by vitaminc It's going to be a nightmare because your boss will know you are browsing SF at work! He's send mens links during the work hours every now and then. So I think he knows...