or Connect

Posts by Baron

The hate on KD is too much. If I made that kind of money I'd choose to live in the Bay Area over OKC every time.
I met the perfumers and sampled this at the AIX scent fair a little while back - I didn't have this impression at all, though I was sampling lots of things that day. I remember the big floral with apricot and leather, and I was fairly impressed. They were also super nice guys, apropos of nothing I suppose.
Loake/Herring is a good alternative for traditional chelseas and jodphurs are a lower price. There's also Scarrosa - didn't some of you guys try those?
EG/Bonafe prices are sufficiently far from Epaulet to make that a poor comparison.
^^^ I wore Jules yesterday, I think I wear it more than anything else these days. I like that it smells like a bar of french milled soap, but it still has an underlying "dirty" quality. I'd like to find a reasonable vintage bottle. I'm also curious as to what the stuff they're selling today in Dior boutiques smells like. Where is St. Helena?
The Geffen MoCA is right in little Tokyo, lots of great places to eat there. Hama Sushi? Sushi Gen? Definitely ask in the LA thread.
I think his meaning is that, this process would be more analogous to MTM than to bespoke, due to the lack of fitting. Not that I'm endorsing his viewpoint. I have no experience with either.
On another note, are any of you aware Phlur, a new fragrance startup? I just saw it on my twitter feed. Apparently, it's started by a Ralph Lauren alum, and it's aiming to bring the Warby Parker model to scents. Sounds like a clever idea to me. Have no idea if the scents are any good.
I got into fragrances around 2003, so I probably have the same associations that you do regarding these older scents. Like I said, that whole fougere style was an acquired taste, and I think my impressions were similar to what you describe initially. I honestly didn't like any of these scents when I first tried them, but my tastes evolved over the years. I'm not sure if Azzaro has been radically reformulated. I have an older bottle and haven't smelled the recent versions....
Azzaro PH and New York have been two of my favorite scents for years now. Like, charter members of my top ten (five?) I wear both all the time. I wore Azzaro yesterday, in fact, and ended up wearing Aramis Tuscany today, partly because it reminds me of Azzaro and my head was still in that place this morning. Azzaro was definitely an acquired taste for me. It very much smells of the 70's, and that fougere style is evocative of the locker rooms and hairy chested men of my...