or Connect

Posts by Baron

That suit fits you well.
Here's one last "tbt" shot, from December 2001. I may have posted this a long time ago in a what-were-you-wearing-then thread, but I was reminded about this from a conversation in the RFT thread discussing vintage leather. jackets. Fok mentioned East West Musical Instruments, but it's still a pretty obscure label. They were a San Francisco guitar shop that started making leather jackets for their rock star clientele in the late 60's - early 70's. Their most famous jackets...
Tippecanoes and Locals Only, on the same block, were great. I'm still friends with one of the owners of Locals.
Yes! Worked there the summers of 88 and 89. You may know that the owner, Jim Otto, had a reggae show on the local public radio station. "White as a ghost, dredder than most" was his tagline.
I have a new picture I can post. I mentioned in the RFT thread that I was "modeling" as an extra in a look book my wife shot. Here's the the shot I ended up in.
Here I am wearing a Stussy shirt in 1989. Also, that summer I worked in a record store in Laguna, Sean Stussy came into the store and we were both wearing that shirt. "Nice shirt" he said.
I think for downtown, you'll be happier visiting the historic core along Broadway than hanging out near Staples Center. There's Grand Central Market, The Last Bookstore, The Ace Hotel, lots of restaurants, cafes and shops. And definitely do that bike ride down to Manhattan/Hermosa and back. Stop in downtown Hermosa or Manhattan for lunch or coffee or ice cream, watch some volleyball, walk around the village or out on the pier. Those are nice places for a short visit.
Between the trains, buses and uber/lyft etc., I find it's getting really easy to get around LA without a car.
For good shopping, nightlife, drinking, eating and hiking, stay for 3 days either downtown, or in one of the cool "eastiside" neighborhoods Los Feliz/Silver Lake/Echo Park in an airbnb. Then spend the other 3 days at the beach - Venice or maybe even Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach.
I own multifamily housing. I don't see it as speculation as much as a business, like any other. I work almost entirely at the low end of the market and, frankly, most of my tenants don't have the resources or skills to own a home. Somebody needs to build and maintain these properties, nobody will do it well unless it's profitable to do so. I'm not sure what the alternative is to restricted private ownership of housing - government housing? Has that worked well anywhere?