or Connect

Posts by sevenfoldtieguy

IMO, There are a few things at work in acquiring rare make-ups and exotic colors:1. Luck2. An established relationship with certain retailers.3. Willingness to pull the trigger immediately if the opportunity presents itself.Plenty of guys have stories of missed opportunities due to a lack of no.3.
Nice collection.
Saphir's Brown cordovan cream works quite nicely on brown shell.I seldom use Saphir's burgundy cordovan cream on Alden's color 8 (i seldom use anything), but I do use it on burgundy shell from other makers.Saphir's black cordovan cream is, well, black. I use it from time to time.Saphir's neutral cordovan cream is useful for any color, but it can darken some whiskeys.
Saphir has somewhat recently added "whiskey" to their shell cordovan shoe cream line. I have not tried it yet. Just passing this along ....
^^ Regarding Alden/Rochester split-toe trees, and the issue of them not filling out the shoe very well: this is remedied - at least for me - by ordering one size larger. I am 9D Barrie and, when I use Alden trees (not always) I use large. The size guide says I should use medium. I used to use Medium, but have not done so for quite a long time.
Not for me.
I typically use Saphir neutral cream and Saphir neutral wax.
+1
Shoe trees seem to generate debate. We all - I hope - agree that trees should be used. There is disagreement over whether higher end trees are worth the money - $125, $150, whatever. Reasonable people can (and do) disagree. I tend to be in the camp that uses higher end trees - lasted or not - only when they are included in the purchase price of the shoes/boots. I have many pairs of higher end trees. I have many pairs of non- higher end trees (Woodlore, Rochester,...
A great value indeed.