or Connect

Posts by SantosLHalper

Quote: Originally Posted by DLester Love the York. It does fit large (in length), so I went with a 8.5 in the York when I am usually a US 10. In width, it is narrow and fits closely at the ankle. In my experience it does not fit long like the Starrs. It is not on the "fashion last" or whatever they call it. I have a pair of the Dickens boot in 10uk and the York in 10uk is definitely shorter - by almost an inch if memory serves.
Quote: Originally Posted by why Never had beef cheek, but guanciale is marvelous. Oh, and lets of fish cheeks are the best parts of the fish. Tuna is really good. The jowl - such an underappreciated appendage! I'll be on the lookout for tuna cheeks.
I love them. Pork cheeks, beef cheeks, veal cheeks. All delicious in my book when braised slowly. Additionally, try halibut cheeks if you ever see them on a menu. Don't recall where I ate them, but they were fabulous.
In Charlottesville, VA: - Foods of All Nations - Feast - The Organic Butcher - Albemarle Baking Company - Greenwood Market Outside Washington, DC, The Italian Store for all of your salumi needs and great sandwiches.
I believe that is a Beaufort in the picture at the top. I can't see if it has the handwarmer pockets and game pocket that would be dead giveaways. In the US, you can sometimes find Barbour jackets at Orvis outlets, but I think STP may be your best bet for cheapest. I'll also echo the comment that they run large in the body but short in the sleeves. I am between a 42 and 44, and bought the 42. It is still sized generously enough for me to wear a sportscoat...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ludeykrus You could probably use a hair dryer or a heat gun to remelt the wax and reset it, though I do think it adds a lot of character. If you google "barbour reproofing" there are a number of sites with info on how to recoat a waxed cotton jacket. Hair dryers are one of the options for warming up the fabric enough to accept the wax. I never thought about just heating to reset the creases. I think I would be...
Quote: Originally Posted by bsyde82 I have a waxed cotton unis military jacket that I've finally began to wear. At first, I thought waxed cotton would be great for rainy conditions, but I've noticed that the jacket has gotten wrinkled real easily in areas of stress, and the wrinkles aren't going away. Didn't think this would happen with waxed cotton. Is this b/c it's getting wet? (not soaked, just walkin around in light rain) or is this just standard...
It's got a unique texture - a bit creamy on the inside. I like them coated with a little bit of flour and sauteed. Like many things, they taste great with bacon.
Quote: Originally Posted by Spatlese Yes, his Sauces book is very comprehensive to say the least, and a good future addition as well. I read Sauces cover to cover, if you can believe that. Glorious French Food and Fish and Shellfish are both great. Splendid Soups and Vegetables are both a little less necessary, but still good as references.
Try Cooking by James Peterson. It's good enough to teach someone the basics of cooking but should still hold some interest for someone more advanced. It's got a lot of photos of technique, which I think is helpful for some folks. It is also a stepping stone to his other books (all of which are great) should you want to delve deeper into french cooking, soups, sauces, etc. edit: apparently, I am late to the game on this recommendation and my reading comprehension...