or Connect

Posts by exaequo

Just going to say that I think evaluating the current students at these schools on the basis of dress and appearance is completely misdirected. This sort of thing just doesn't matter anymore ever since the Ivy League became meritocratic and all the schools worth going to followed suit. My family has had a similar experience to tj100. If you look at historical admissions rates going back over generations, HYP weren't really difficult to get into if you were from the...
To each his/her own - and it's cheaper to live uptown except for the gold coast areas.
Definitely live in the West Village or Tribeca. Uptown has little to no cultural energy aside from the museums and the park - almost everything fun and interesting is going on downtown. The WV is far more boisterous - properties with doormen are also pretty rare unless you're all the way out on the westside highway. Tribeca is really quiet, and really nice. You'll have no problem finding nice 1brs for $4k. Definitely no reason to stay in hoboken. The only...
At the same time, don't hew to any single writing principle as orthodoxy. Brevity is not always best. Personally, I like rhythmic writing best. Combine short direct statements with long and structurally balanced statements. Use grammar to indicate meaning through parallel structures and appositions. Know your audience and dumb down through repetition if necessary - you'll make them feel smarter for 'getting it' at the end.
Quote: Originally Posted by Connemara Yeah but...a full ride compared to Brown's $$$ tuition. I really don't think your run of the mill student would be getting anything worth that extra dough at Brown, except for brand rec. Brand + Network would be worth more than the free ride at UF here in NYC. Probably not as much outside the NE. There's all kinds of intangible advantages to having the Ivy degree here outside of work too - makes a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Catalyst This is very interesting, I guess I never looked into it. I have however, spent plenty of days on Lake Erie, and it gets damned windy sometimes. Firstly, I don't take kindly to being called a liar. You are making assumptions based upon incomplete data, and that is a fools folly; I had 100% scholarship to a FL school vs paying out of state tuition at an Ivy liberal arts school. No business program at all. At...
Quote: Originally Posted by Artisan Fan This is incredibly wrong and dangerously bad advice. In my world, LinkedIn is becoming the predominant networking and job search tool. Our last three hires relied all or mostly on LinkedIn in terms of attracting our internal corporate recruiter. In my opinion, a great LinkedIn profile is far more important than a great resume. Resumes are only seen by people you send them to. LinkedIn is a public, appropriate...
That's great to hear. We're actually building an internal consulting practice that's going the be the cutting edge group within the agency, and I've been offered a lateral opportunity into that group, which is what got me thinking about the difference in approaches between my agency and a consultancy. One thing I definitely find a little frustrating is that the average results analysis here doesn't drive to the bottom line. It stops at media performance relative to the...
Artisan, I wanted to express my thanks to you for the interesting and excellent advice you've been doling out, free of charge. It's already had an impact on the way I'm thinking and working, actually, and I made this account just to send you this message (previously I was just a lurker trying to find a better cobbler/drycleaner/tailor in nyc on a semi-regular basis). I noticed that you mentioned your expertise in media mix optimization. Are there significant...