or Connect

Posts by LooknGr8

I was not on SF in 1979, but even I knew then my mom cheaped out when she got me the nauga sleeves and not leather for my school letter jacket. Feh. And I've seen those BB polyester shirts at thrifts. They aren't even retro cool; they weren't cool to begin with.
I can't help draw a parallel now to the "high fashion fake fur" revolution spawned by card-carrying PETA celebrity members who propagate "fashion." THere's a lot of scary-looking junk out there. I'm not a diehard fur advocate, but damn, there's some really plasticky crap passing for fur. Why bother? Oh. Did I mention? My grandfather raised a family of 4 kids during the Depression running a fox farm? I have no idea how they made it, but they did. Here's a 1930s pic of him...
shows how much brand names meant in the 1970s. And an object lesson for hair-trigger eBay bidders like me, a reminder to do my homework before clicking (no I didn't bid on these, even if it was a real exotic, those are seriously ugly).
@isshinryu101, Looking at these Imperial Hanovers, too, what exotic are they?
So, in all urban legends there tends to be one grain of truth among the lies. I've read the Wikipedia and official histories of Florsheim today and also went through a couple Google Books but I couldn't find any reference to this little gem in an eBay auction description: "Condition: Brown scotchgrain leather shoes. V-cleat heel. Sole and heel both have alot of wear left, you might want to get rubber heels put on though, I have had some near faceplants wearing my v-cleat...
I was talking about David Stern, hahahaha but yours is all right, too. Thanks for the knowledge.
Love the avatar & agree with its statement! Why do you like shark/what do you wear them with, typically?
Apologies if this has already been discussed (just point me to the thread please), I haven't seen anything here. This auction says...shark? elephant? Or is it calf and the listing is a typical scam? Also, they seem to look kind of...wrinkly and ruined, as if they were stored at the bottom of a river for a while. Is it just the photography, or the fact that there's no feet in the shoes when the pictures were shot? If this is a rare and desirable hide, what are the...
I hate it when they to it to an otherwise awesome shirt (i.e. Zegna, etc). I have successfully removed staples...sometimes.
Luck's been running thin lately but some musings: 1) Ever try Etsy for shoes? I think eBay for some individual sellers is getting hard to use (because of fees, etc) so there's quite a little culture sprouting up over there. Bought some old-skool Lizard Aristocrafts and vintage, lightly used Kenmoors this week. Gotta select "vintage" category to see anything, though, which is counterintuitive but real. Some of the prices are definitely way above thrifting but...check it...