or Connect

Posts by Fred G. Unn

FWIW, I'm a US 10E in the AE 5 last and I wear a UK 9E in all my UK sized C&Js. I don't have any AE 5 last shoes anymore, but at one point I think I measured and a UK 9E in the 348 last was actually a bit wider than a US 10E on the AE 5. No experience with Paraboot. I would guess a UK 6E would fit you in the Northcote.
Oh well. I still never figured out what the deal was with the Barneys Tetbury sizing compared to UK size after the sale last June. I was hoping you had a UK 348 last for comparison.
zippyh, do you have any UK sized 348 last shoes? Just wondering how your US sized Barneys Hallams and Tetburys compared to UK sized shoes.
I have the Hallam in black too. I'm curious how Barneys sized these though. I tried the Barneys Tetbury in calf last sale and the US9.5D was longer and more narrow than all 3 pairs of my UK9E C&Js on the 348 last. It's like they were UK9.5D or something. (And the US10D was wwaaayy too long in comparison to my UK9Es.) Maybe I was just unlucky. If the Barneys Hallams were also sized oddly on the 348, I'm comforting myself by thinking I wouldn't have been able to get a good...
Dang. I got the Maltons this year, and have cheap Cliffords and Wicklows from previous Barney's sales. I don't really "need" a brown Hallam but I couldn't have passed it up at that price.
I'm not sure I believe that. I've been checking the site just about everyday to see if there were any C&J adds, and I think the brown Hallams were $339 or $349. Maybe they dropped to $229 for the last pair or something.
I'd have to see the printing on the inside, but I think that's a pretty safe guess. The pricing is right for C&J and they are using the C&J "Peal & Co" font. Alfred Sargent normally uses a different font for "Peal & Co" like this pair:http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.%C2%AE-Medallion-Perforated-Captoes/049H,default,pd.html?dwvar_049H_Color=BLCK&contentpos=7&cgid=0522
There's already an entire thread devoted to C&J. Post your question there and you are more likely to get a response.
A split toe blucher is a fine option, in fact I'm wearing these right now:http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/alfred-sargent-exclusive-collection-price-asc/products/alfred-sargent-exclusive-charlton-pinner-calf-suede-shoesIMO, the OP needs to add several bluchers before he should even consider a bal like the Strand. I don't know what his work environment is like, so you might be right @velomatt, a rubber sole may be more practical. AE offers that as an option on...
Probably not. Black isn't really appropriate for a work environment, and blue (navy) wool trousers alone often look like you've lost your suit jacket. The most versatile will be shades of grays, browns, olive, etc. Lighter brown shoes won't work with gray in the way a dark brown pair will.That line of AE is glued. One of the big advantages of AE is that most of their shoes are goodyear welted so they are recraftable. Those are not. If the OP is upgrading his shoe rotation,...