or Connect

Posts by Loathing

Mine has arrived as well! Unfortunately I am out of the country, but I am told the tie is very beautiful indeed. Thanks again to C&A and T4phage for organising this.
http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/stools/eames-walnut-stools.html
Caruso St John staircase at Tate Britain.
Be wary of relying on just a few people's opinions, though. Vox was a famous proponent of the 14oz fresco travel suit. I have one myself and I don't find it wears warm, although I am not overly sensitive to heat.Of course, it depends a lot on to where you're travelling. Most importantly, though, it doesn't crease easily, which is the a priority for a travel suit.
Oh grow up, you chauvinist. I’m not interested in your petty UK-verus-US bullshit. I told you I’m not even British (not that it would make a difference, although it clearly does to you). Your first point is a bit contradictory: first you question the validity of the index and then you express unqualified admiration for it. In actual fact, the index is not just an indicator of “perceived” corruption, because it correlates closely with several other discrete measures of...
Haha, I do think you are being overly cynical though, which is probably a product of your living in a particularly selfish country and city. It's clear that much of Western Europe does a better job than the US, and a lot of progress has been made in recent decades. This is a map of corruption by country: I think it's possible to culture selfishness out of people and therefore corruption out of societies. After all, cooperation is a positive-sum game.
The problem in the USA is regulatory capture. That's a form of government failure. It doesn't mean regulation is bad per se. Regulation is supposed to protect people, and intelligent and uncorrupted regulation does just that.
I really can't understand how you think that would be a suitable resolution. The whole point is that all architects are fully qualified so that the consumer can't be screwed over by any fraud or quack.It's no different to other "common words" like general practitioner, surgeon, optometrist, ophthalmologist, surveyor, accountant, engineer, etcetera. All of those professions are regulated in the same way. I just think people have a romanticised vision of architects as...
You are making the same mistake as lawyerday, Stephen. The ARB is not a trade union or professional association with licensing fees like the AIA. The ARB is literally a public agency, under the remit of the Department for Communities and Local Government. It can't lobby the government because that would be lobbying itself. It doesn't have a role in creating planning regulations, all it does is keep a registry of all qualified architects which you can check to make sure...
Wow, you're a chauvinistic one, aren't you? I'm not even British, but nonetheless your "us and them" mentality should have been left behind in the 19th century. Your point is misguided because you fail to understand how statist the UK is relative to neoliberal America. Regulatory capture simply isn't a problem in the UK legal and architectural professions (although it is a serious problem in journalism and financial services). I am very familiar with the influence and...