or Connect

Posts by DC Office Hack

I prefer the leather on the cordovan Bean boot, but otherwise, no difference.
Wow, those chukkas! Boot envy indeed.
That's what I thought.
The prices went up to above $300 on Amazon. That's Wovlerine and AE territory...
Classic "Bean Boots" from LL Bean are both cheaper and more functional. And appropriate for a campus setting. If you want something more rugged, Chippewa boots are both tough enough and cheap enough that you can risk thrashing. Bean sells two variants; j crew sells some more expesnive versions. The basic model can be found real cheaper on the internet from work boot sellers. If you want dressier, the best options are English. Look for the Herring website. They sell their...
I own neither but have read tons of reviews of both on line. It seems that the difference between the two amounts to:1. Aesthetics, i.e. one prefers the look of one over the other (I happen to like the looks of the Wolverine better, but that's just me)2. Rubber versus leather sole. Some care, some do not. Some who care get the leather Wolverine anyway with the intention of modifying or replacing the sole with a Vibram product sooner or later.3. Horween Chromexcel, which is...
Happiness is knowing I've got a new pair of Gustin jeans in the pipeline .
I want to buy an M1943 or something close to it. No, I'm not into reenacting and thus don't care about historical accuracy, and yes, I've shopped for real (vintage) jackets on Ebay...larger sizes (I'm a 42 but would probably wear a 38 or 40) in good condition are hard to find and quite expensive. I've found two sources for reproductions, "At The Front," and "What Price Glory." I can't figure out which is better. Or, is there a third option? Anyone make an updated...
I can't tell if the collar/lapels of the M51 are different from the M43. That's what appeals to me. I also prefer buttons over snaps... The danger of being costume-y is real, and it's what keeps me from buying a replica or even an authentic vintage piece. The point is not to do a replica. But even doing a replica but with a different, more civilian fabric would make a big difference. Any of the fabrics Gustin's used on the chore coats would be great.
Re: Field jackets, If it were up to me, I'd start with the M1943 (which is sharper than the M1965, IMHO). At The Front makes a replica (see below), complete with a sateen finish. I wouldn't look to Gustin for a replica but rather an interpretation, provided that utility is not sacrificed. Meaning, let it be more relaxed fitting than, say, the chore coat. Imagine the M1943 in that green army canvas Gustin uses, the waxed dark oak, or perhaps a cool herring bone....