or Connect

Posts by Midnight Blue

1. you can never go wrong with white2. they're called mess jackets. I summarize them in my site's History section and describe them in detail in the Vintage section
Edwardian barristers, perhaps.(And for the record, its a wing collar, not wing tips. The latter are only for shoes.)
No, not really. (No offence to HRH.)
No, he meant what he said: the traits of black tie established in the 1930s and 40s remain the gold standard. They look as good on an 18-year-old today as on an 80-year-old; you can hardly look at Bradley Cooper on the red carpet in his timeless tuxedo and claim that he looks like an old fogey. The fact of the matter is that no invention since that time - with the possible exception of the fly-front formal shirt - has matched, yet alone improved upon, the classic style's...
And it's not even really "new".From Brooks Brothers in 2009:From After Six in 1964:There actually were a few companies that offered white seersucker dinner jackets back around 1963. I can't say that it's such a bad idea.
I doubt this style was ever popular.
You originally said "Strollers are black tie." That's patently false and very different than saying they're the daytime equivalent of black tie. It could also be very confusing for novices reading this thread.
I'm somewhat familiar with that web site.
Formalwear trolling?
Somebody needs to start a 'State of Morning Dress' thread so this one can stick to black tie . . .