or Connect

Posts by agjiffy

I would love to see pics and hear about your experience in this thread or another one. I used Kilgour when they were going through a pretty difficult period and I was really dissappointed in what I got, but I always assumed that at some point they would turn it around and get back to what they are known for.
^Definitely agree on the chest piece. It is hard and also swelled out like a shell. Think of a french bulldog with a slightly puffed out chest. That plus the roped shoulder give the coat quite a bit of structure. I think that Manton is correct that the canvas is particularly hard although I think that it tends to soften and shape to the body over time as my jackets tend to feel better and better with wear and the older they are the more I like them. It is good stuff...
i've used Kilgour, which basically places football pads on your shoulders, and Steed, for which you can see my thoughts in the link below.http://www.styleforum.net/t/362657/my-visit-to-huntsman/0_100#post_6603170
^I'm not certain. I tried the coat on and didn't notice anything unusual (other than I felt like I had an elephant on my back) so I think it was likely their standard padding in the shoulders, which is fairly mild compared to other row tailors that I've used.
thought people might find this interesting. for this week's NY visit, Huntsman is carrying a 32 ounce wool for a "british warm" double breasted overcoat. Below is a sample. The fabric feels like it could stop bullets. It would be perfect for holding out in a foxhole during the middle of winter. Amazingly, they brought a sample of the coat, which was hand-stitched. It looked like you would have to push the needle through with a hammer. I think the Hunstman guys got a...
Peter Smith is no longer at Huntsman. He has moved on to RA to replace Brian Lishak. Sounds like Peter's garden leave ends soon and I'm sure he will do really well at RA. The garments that Huntsman brought on their current visit are fantastic. Johnny Allen has a great eye. The things I have in process are consistent with everything Pat has done for me, which is to say that they are excellent. I made an order. Sad to see Peter go but glad to see that my beloved...
I think my NSM shirts were around 200 euro CMT a few years ago. While they were handsewn, I wouldn't have cared if they weren't (although I understand that many people do). The shirts are well done. I generally like a slimmer shirt than Mina produces, but I think the fit is decent and the price is good. I would be unhappy if I were jerrybrowne and had received something different than what I had in the past. Jerrybrowne, I hope you ask them about it and post their...
^ nah. You don't get it. The difference between handsewn and not handsewn isn't the difference between class a and class c. It still could be a great shirt. In any event, you don't want to be one of those people who comes on an Internet forum and says that a maker that many love and have great experiences with is a fraud.
That seems right. I have a feeling that at the end of the day, most of what CdL and Cifo produce at the end of the day is classic business suits. I think Taub at G&H is likely just as adventurous as Cifo, although Cifo is certainly trying to be unconventional in a way that others aren't. I think the CdL safari jackets in the same spirit as many of the Cifo designs, and I think the CdL contrast stitching on the buttonholes is unlikely to appear on anything Savile Row (and...
Scam is a strong word. I think there are a lot of places that cost as much or more for a shirt without hand sewing (charvet for example) but it's definitely surprising that they would produce a shirt without hand sewing when Mina seems to emphasize how important it is to quality. I've seen them cut corners on some other ways (crappy plastic buttons, crappy lining, sewing that isn't great) but this seems a little different given that the shirts were, at least for some at...