or Connect

Posts by N.K.

Another brand that has become sadly overrated - Oxxford Clothes. New ownership may have hipped it up a bit but quality has suffered. N.K.
Quote: Originally Posted by DGP I take issue with Rolex. While the meaning behind buying a Rolex has changed (it used to be a watch you needed, rather than a luxury item), I would argue that their build quality has not deteriorated in the least, and that it is equally well made as ever. It is, however, just another status watch now, as opposed to something with a true utilitarian purpose. Agreed. A very fine watch to this day. N.K.
Quote: Originally Posted by Kas Belstaff. While they made a lot of jackets for movies, I don't think it's a well known brand - at least not in the Netherlands and I don't read a lot about them here. This is an interesting one. More of a mixed reputation really. Older, real U.K. Belstaffs are considered classics. When the Italians bought the brand (and got it into movies) purists sort of scoffed that they are now a poser brand. They...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tomasso Or maybe it depends on the individual's ability to differentiate good tailoring from bad. Albert is quite the salesman (having started out young at his family's Red Hanger Shops) but tailoring knowledge is not his strong suit, at least that's my impression after spending a half hour with him. I'd place Richard Bennett in with Paul Chang; That is, mediocre at best. And then God said, "Let Tomasso declare...
Quote: Originally Posted by rssmsvc I disagree, I was deeply disappointed with Albert at Richard Bennetts and they "forgot" to do alterations they billed for and promised a lot and didn't meet any of their promises. I would never use or recommend them. I would search the forums for other people whom have terrible experiences with RB. Huh. I use them all the time, never have a problem. Know a lot of other guys who do as well, Albert has...
Quote: Originally Posted by Frog in Suit HAH! but I would venture that you fail to accord enough weight to Alphonse de Galurin' seminal treatise (1882, republished with additions 1914 and 1922) which states, inter alia, that the number of hats must closely agree with the number of outfits (let us say suits, in the interest of brevity) to which is applied a ratio ("variabilité statistique sartoriale du sujet" or V.S.S.S.) based (I am overly simplifying...
Flegl's lengthy treatise on this subject, published first in 1941 and renewed in 1987, alludes that the correct number is seven without saying it outright. Armbaster, whom we must remember suffered greatly in his native land for his beliefs, went to his grave proclaiming four the correct number ("One hat per season!") If we assume, I believe correctly, that these two greats were the definitive experts on Number Of Hats One Should Own, the number is four or seven...
This magazine isn't still around is it? N.K.
I think you're doing a lot of things right. For my tastes the second suit is the belle of the ball. It's more unusual and frankly a better representation of what you're trying to do. the first suit is pretty nice but rather ordinary. And the vest is straight out of the nineties. You should look into employing double vents. They would make your suits a little more British and a little less 1980's. The color of the second suit is maybe not the best to my eye. The...
Quote: Originally Posted by Shoe-nut For what it is worth one definitely should not go overboard on one of these hats. It is only a hat and hats take a beating in the wearing of them for sure. This is why when it comes to straw I only wear the ordinary ones. Sure a nice Panama is a great hat but as has been stated earlier they are hot to wear in the finer weaves and also floppy meaning they are subject to being blown around by the wind while wearing...