or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by Augusto86

http://www.physorg.com/news131891012.html Quote: Adolescents attending college six months after completing high school are significantly less likely to engage in risky sexual behavior than those who do not go to college, according to the first study to directly compare the two groups. The study found that college students were more likely to always use a condom and less likely to engage in casual sex or high-risk sex than teens who did not attend a two- or...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton No you don't. Like I said, in addition to Wolfe, we have the first-hand accounts of hundreds and thousands of others. Some of them are students who say "Yeah, it's like that and it's awesome!!!!" Some are clinicians who make no judgement. Some are moralists who say "This is terrible!!!" And then we have the books and the surveys, etc. You are the outlier who denies it. Indeed, most (close to all) of Wolfe's...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Fail again. Why do you bother? Wolfe must really have hit a nerve. Is that you are sad you missed out? Now you are just trying to needle me into getting pissed. Look, I thought his depiction was stupidly lurid, and that it only served to get old men like you worked up and panicked about the Moral Decay of the American University. I appear to be basically right; the only question is how much he ginned up...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Augusto: I didn't witness any more sex in college than in high school, so Wolfe is wrong, and here are two or three studies that try back me up. Manton: I am going to anecdotally claim a lot of data, scholarly literature and anecdotal evidence (your experience notwithstanding) to show that Wolfe is right. What more is there to say? Let me fix that for you. Quote: Originally Posted by...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton I think I am because you clearly have an axe to grind, which is evidenced by your denying facts and trends that Wolfe is hardly alone in seeing. Go search the phrase "hooking up" on Amazon and you will come across a dozen books written in the last few years alone that go into great detail about this. Some are guides on how to be successful, but others are scholarly accounts of the nature and extent of the issue. There...
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Right, once again I correctly predicted the type and level of snark you would deploy in dealing with an inconvenient issue. I prefer to think of that as "reliable" or "accurate" but call it what you want. What is inconvenient about the fact that I disagree with you? Having been to college in exactly the years described by Wolfe, who do you think is in a better position to assess his accuracy - you, or...
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire Good god, this is bad, even from you. You should check the teen pregnancy states from those states, as having done actual, on the ground public health work in some of those states, it ain't the people you think driving those numbers. What does this even mean? Quote: Originally Posted by Manton What a steaming pile of fail. You are so predictable.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton Wolfe is awesome. Charlotte Simmons wasn't great, but it still told the truth in the face of a lot of stupid opposition (exemplified by Augusto's post). Of course you like it - here's a quote from your review: Quote: And, Wolfe noticed, the good ones as well as the bad ones were not so much "campus novels" as "faculty novels," written by English professors about English professors for English...
Am I the only person on SF who thinks that the rich derive more benefit from the current economic system than the poor?
Quote: Originally Posted by Flieger I take it you read I Am Charlotte Simmons by Thom Wolfe? I used to like Tom Wolfe but that book was fucking wretched. "Oh noes our white flowers of virtue are being defiled in the Ivory Tower!!! I'm an old queen/eunuch who's terrified of icky icky sex. Will no one save America from its hormones! Look at how edgy I am for voting for George W!" Seriously, that book and the publicity campaign around it...
New Posts  All Forums: